CD Drive inaccessible

Mike D 12:16 30 Oct 06

I sat with a freind's Sony Vaio laptop with a CD/DVD RW drive.
When I try to write anything to the drive I get an error message:
"E:\ is not accessible. Incorrect function".

The drive is shown as working correctly in Device Manager and its drive light comes on if a disk is inserted.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Mike

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:21 30 Oct 06

My computer - right click drive - properties - recording tab- make sure "Enable recording on this drive" is ticked.

Mike D 12:39 30 Oct 06

Fruit Bat /\0/
Well that certainly helped in that I can now see the drive and the CD Writing Wizard opens, but as soon as I try to copy to the disk the CD Writing Wizard cannot complete.

Mike

Mike D 13:14 30 Oct 06

I have now tracked the problem (I think) to the "IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service", which is Stopped. When I start it it responds OK, but as soon as I try to burn the CD I get the "CD Burning Wizard cannot complete" message and, if I recheck the services, the IMAPI service has stopped again.

Help!
Mike

De Marcus™ 13:26 30 Oct 06

Mike D, check for other burning software which may be switching the imapi service off.

Mike D 13:46 30 Oct 06

De Marcus

Nero 7 is installed, but even that does not want to work and asks if I want to send a report th MS.

Mike

De Marcus™ 13:50 30 Oct 06

If you've got nero, stick with that as opposed to windows.

When you try and run nero is the imapi service running? If it is, disable it, don't just stop it.

You should also try a clean install of nero then do a test run, if that fails, download the updated version from the nero website.

De Marcus™ 13:56 30 Oct 06

And if you want stick with windows, here's some troubleshooting tips click here

Mike D 13:57 30 Oct 06

Well I've disabled the service and now need to wait for my friend to give me the Nero cd for reinstallation. I will leave this one open for a while.

Thanks

Mike

Mike D 22:04 02 Nov 06

The laptop has been taken away by its owner who will now try to reinstall Nero.

Thanks guys for the help.

Mike

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac