CD Drive fault ?

taffy101 18:48 09 Jul 06

My son's CD drive occasionally throws errors saying that it cannot read CDs in the drive. Usually the message says 'please insert a disc in drive D, although sometimes the PC will appear to freeze. The problem appears to be intermittant except with certain CDs which it refuses to read at any time. With some Cds it will happen occasionally, whereas I can read them fine on another PC.

Thinking this would most likely be a faulty drive I tried replacing the drive with another (working) DVD drive. However the problem still exists. Any help please?

taffy101 21:58 09 Jul 06

>

Stuartli 22:12 09 Jul 06

Try uninstalling the drive in Device Manager and then rebooting - Windows will Find New Hardware and reinstall the basic CDROM driver, which is all that is required.

Also check that the leads and power supply to the drive are firmly connected.

WhiteTruckMan 00:39 10 Jul 06

then before you restart also uninstall the IDE controller as well. Then restart.

WTM

taffy101 09:01 10 Jul 06

I have tried reinstalling the drivers but to no avail. I haven't yet had chance to check the leads but thanks for the suggestions.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…