CD Drive Failures

dublincity 05:54 25 Nov 04

My unit D will read but can no longer be written to. Unit E will neither read nor can be written to. They both, apparently, failed at the same time.

I've read the property boxes which say the drives are 'working' - I'm on XP Pro. Ditto when I've been onto the net via the troubleshooting facility. When I read that the drivers were Microsoft, I wondered if they could be replaced?

My D drive is SAMSUNG CD-ROM SC-152A. When I put a blank CD in, I get the message, "Please insert a disk into drive D."

My E drive is YAMAHA CRW8824S SCSI. When I put any CD in, I get the signal, "E:\ is not accessible. Incorrect function."

Has anybody any ideas?

Many Thanks.

User-312386 07:30 25 Nov 04

right click My Computer>select properties>hardware>device mangager tab

Now look down the list and you will see cdromdrives, click on the plus(+) sign and you will see your drives.

Right click on them and select delete

Re-start your computer

dublincity 08:35 25 Nov 04

Many thanks for that. There wasn't a 'delete' but a 'disable'. I clicked those for both drives and re-booted. Both remained disabled and missing from the My Computer window. I re-enabled both (and again did the 'check for .........' scans). The drives are now showing the same messages as before.

That device manager gives an option for
'uninstall'. Should I try that?

aceofbass 08:56 25 Nov 04

I had similar problems and traced it to software I had installed for a USB flash drive which interferes with the way in which the OS accesses the CD drives. If you have installed any software at about the same time as the problem arose, try removing it. It worked for me.

aceofbass 08:57 25 Nov 04

I had similar problems and traced it to software I had installed for a USB flash drive which interferes with the way in which the OS accesses the CD drives. If you have installed any software at about the same time as the problem arose, try removing it. It worked for me.

dublincity 09:06 25 Nov 04

The problem cropped up a couple of months ago. Before - and since - then, I've been in the habit of downloading dozens of items of software per week so couldn't pinpoint any particular thing.

I recently set up both a scanner and a webcam but I think the CD dives were duff before then ........

User-312386 20:27 26 Nov 04

sorry yes click uninstall and then reboot

dublincity 00:54 27 Nov 04

Thanks. I've done that several times but the problem is still the same. In addition to drivers for D drive - SAMSUNG CD-ROM SC-152A and E drive - YAMAHA CRW8824S SCSI, I found Disk Drive:
ExcelStor Technology J360 and un-installed the driver for that as well.

All re-installed automatically when I re-booted but nothing else changed.

I've just noticed that the drivers are associated with WINDOWS\system32. I've no idea what that is but the name has cropped up when I've scanned for bugs in the registry. Could I have inadvertently deleted something vital?

hugh-265156 02:48 27 Nov 04

ExcelStor Technology J360 is your hard drive or one of them click here

if uninstalling your cdrw drives from device manager and restarting windows doesnt help then try re installing your burning software maybe.

if that doesnt work try clicking 'start/run' next type 'sfc /scannow' and click ok, insert your windows disc if prompted. this will search for and replace any damaged or missing system files. may help.

could be a faulty ide cable maybe, try another if above doesnt work.

hugh-265156 02:52 27 Nov 04

ps. windows uses its own drivers for cdrw drives so its normal to see these drivers listed as pointing to the microsoft 'system/32' directory.

hugh-265156 02:55 27 Nov 04

sorry 'system32/drivers' directory

sfc /scannow may fix or replace any damaged or missing files here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…