Cd drive fails on boot-up

carlos 20:16 04 Oct 03

Be most grateful for any advice.......on boot-up I get the message "secondarymaster drive fails". I have used another drive with same response. I have tried all the variations except putting the CDRW on primary master ( I havea SCSI hard drive) Win XP home, Athlon 1GHz. I've checked all other cards and shuffled( and omitted) the various combinations of RAM modules. In the bios I've changed the drive to slave( and changed jumper-settings from slave/master/CS)to no effect. The CD will instal programmes from original disks but will not install from my copies of my software eg if I install PSPro from the back-up copy I get error message " error 1311. Source file not found D:/PSP/data.cab verify that the file exists and that you can access it". CDs not corrupt because I can install with no probs on other PC. When I check the BIOS settings it states" CDROM, PIO mode (4), ultra DMA mode - disabled ( if I open this I see 1-5 and disabled options. Any ideas please?

carlos 20:35 04 Oct 03

get same F1 message. But, have put CDRW in right way( red wire to the right of the CDRW as one looks at it from the rear). Also I've inserted the motherboard connection end of the cable with the red wire at the bottom( as one looks at the Mobo ). Interestingly, there are the usual two primary/secondary ATA 100 "plugs" on the mobo but there are also two more( not labelled as far as I can see, but these ones have the floppy insertion "plug" next to them). From my, naive, point of view, I have 4 insertions that could be primary/secondary IDE "plugs" to use. Whichever I use, I have the same problem, tho'.

carlos 22:49 04 Oct 03

just a bump......is it a mobo replacement?

woodchip 22:56 04 Oct 03

Have you tried a new cable. or go into Device Manager if you can see the CD drive remove and restart for window to reset it up

carlos 00:02 05 Oct 03

yep. New cable, remove etc...alas and alack not resolved.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…