Cd drive causing boot problems - light flashing

mighty_mondo 20:26 07 Oct 08

I really hope someone can help ....this is driving me mad

a while ago i shut down my HP laptop (it didnt shut down properly and eventually the battery gave up)

since then if i try to boot up windows with the cddrive closed it takes 20 mins or so and the drive light keeps flashing as if its trying to read a new disk

if i boot up windows with the drive open (manually opened with a paper clip) it boots as normal and works fine

if i try to close the drive when its fully booted up i get a blue screen error message and laptop dies!!

please help!

woodchip 21:32 07 Oct 08

Use System Restore to before you Problem

woodchip 21:33 07 Oct 08

Also go into BIOS and make sure Hard Drive is set as first boot device

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:33 07 Oct 08

My guess is you totally drained all batteries including CMOS battery.
BIOS settings corrupt and its trying to boot from a non existent CD in the drive.

Reset the CMOS by removing battery for 10 minutes and fit a new one. (£2.99 for two from Wilkinsons stores)

Then retry.

mighty_mondo 21:30 08 Oct 08

thanks for the suggestions guys

Woodchip - system restore doesnt have a point before i need and i have set the boot device in BIOS

Fruit Bat - if i reset the CMOS battery will that reset the BIOS if it is corrupt? how can i stop it trying to boot from a non existent cd?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:06 08 Oct 08

Yes it should reset the BIOS to default settings.

mighty_mondo 19:07 12 Oct 08

Thanks Fruit bat

I removed the CMOS battery for about an hour, when i put it back in the BIOS was still the same and the drive is still wrecked!

Do you think it would help if i take the CMOS batttery out and leave it overnight?

woodchip 20:29 12 Oct 08

Take the Drive out of the Comp and fit as slave into another computer, you can then get your files etc off it. After you can play around with the comp in Safety.

If you are running XP and you have the XP CD for the Computer not a Restore CD you could repair the OS to get rid of any problems you are having

mighty_mondo 20:54 12 Oct 08

Hi woodchip

i worded that last post wrongly, sorry

the hard drive is fine its the cd/dvd drive that is messed up

i have to leave the tray open or it continually tries to read it causing errors

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:55 12 Oct 08

Check IDE cable at drive and motherboard is fully inserted.

Could also check Jumpers are set correctly on the drives.

Also try to disable the CDrom as a boot device in the BIOS and see if it makes any difference.

woodchip 20:58 12 Oct 08

No Problem, but if you do have a XP cd you can still run repair using the CD. But you will need to download all updates after running it

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…