cd drive advice

Smokeyone 18:17 01 Dec 03

I always thought a cd drive only played not recorded cd's but from reading PCadvisor it seems they do now. So please could someone explain the difference between a cd drive & a dvd writer.

Thanks

Smokeyone

Diodorus Siculus 18:22 01 Dec 03

CD-ROM Drive - reads only

CD writers will record on one of two disks:

cd-r - write once

cd-rw - write many times (can be used like a floppy).

DVD writer - can record onto blank DVDs - many different types and no standards have been set yet.

Diodorus Siculus 18:25 01 Dec 03

click here for the internet encyclopaedia - it will give lots of info.

Smokeyone 10:31 02 Dec 03

Thanks for the info. As I am now completely floppied out which system would you go for as back up media.

Thanks

Smokeyone

Djohn 11:14 02 Dec 03

CDRW drive will be the best for your requirements. It will play CD's [Both music and data] and you will be able to record to the CD [Burn] your music and data files. j.

Diodorus Siculus 11:19 02 Dec 03

And have a look at the following for an excellent guide to backing up: click here

Smokeyone 06:52 03 Dec 03

Thanks for the advice

Smokeyone

Stuartli 08:28 03 Dec 03

It's not a good idea to use a rewriter for playing audio CDs or installing software - rewriters should be kept for their main use, burning..:)

The reason is that they are not all that robust and additional, unnecessary use will curtail their lifespan. Look at the manufacturers' websites for details of their potential usage span.

A DVD-ROM drive to complement your rewriter, which can be bought these days for between £20-£25, will play all your audio CDs, install software and you can also use it for watching DVDs.

It's far cheaper as well to replace a DVD-ROM drive than a rewriter....:-)

Stuartli 08:32 03 Dec 03

It's a myth that CD-Rs cannot be written to more than once - use a CD-R in multisession form and you can add to it until full.

It's very handy for compiling useful utilities, programs etc and saves re-downloading a lot of software from the net if you require it again in the future.

Stuartli 08:36 03 Dec 03

If you are prepared to lay out a little more for a DVD rewriter rather than a CD-RW rewriter, you can just as easily burn CD-R and CD-RW as DVD media.

DVD rewriters have come down substantially in price recently (overpriced from the start in any case) so it will be a worthwhile purchase.

Smokeyone 07:22 05 Dec 03

Ah, now I am confused, is'nt the dvd rewriter format subject to change and please could someone explain the difference. Also I already have a cd drive for installing programme but as already mentioned it would be nice to have a rewriter to copy programmes as back up.

Thanks

Smokeyone

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…