CD Drive

ennyoueffsea 01:44 04 Jul 03

Help for my kids if you can. On their pc the cd drive does not recognise any cd's inserted. The icon is in "My Computer" for the D drive. If a cd is inserted and the icon double-clicked, message comes up "The device is not ready"
Does anyone know if this is likely to be software realated, or is the cd rom done for.

Many thanks for any help suggested.

Gongoozler 07:13 04 Jul 03

Hi Terry. This is most likely a faulty cd drive. I have just fitted a LG 52x drive from Ebuyer. It is a superb drive at a very reasonable price (under £13 including vat), but the delivery costs are a bit high if you are only buying the one item. click here

Gongoozler 07:15 04 Jul 03

Terry, I should have mentioned that the problem could be as simple as dirty optics and a lens cleaning disk could cure it.

keith-236785 07:16 04 Jul 03

which windows are you using?

how old is the computer and how young are the kids?

LOOSE IDE CABLE (check both ends of the cable)

any windows, open device manager and see if there is a yellow exclamation mark against the cd, if so then its probably faulty (or missing a driver depending on which windows)

no check mark means no driver fault which points to a dead cd.

have you tried cleaning the cd drive, cleaners are available, pcworld sell them but they cost about £7.99 & for another tenner you could have a new drive so is it worth it. (you have to decide on that......)

hope this helps

Stuartli 09:05 04 Jul 03

It's most unlikely that a lens cleaning device will make much difference - CD drives are well sealed and usually the tray is only open for a few seconds at a time.

However, if you wish to try one, lens cleaners are available at discount shops for around £1.50 to £1.99.

But as Gongoozler points out new CD-ROM drives are very cheap these days; in fact it's worth spending an extra tenner or so and buying a DVD-ROM drive.

Stuartli 09:07 04 Jul 03

The only driver required for a CD/DVD-ROM drive or rewriter is the basic one provided by Windows itself.

I've noticed that some people tend to confuse drivers with firmware and firmware updates.

ennyoueffsea 00:17 05 Jul 03

Thanks so much for such a quick response lads. Did cross my mind about a cleaning disc, but then dawned on me, will not recognise it in the drive. lol.

The kids, (3 of 'em) are mid teens to 21, using Windows 98. I'll get them to check in the device manager for any exclamation marks.

As you suggest, might be just as well to get a new drive. Dunno if i'd get a dvd drive though. That would men thm having something I haven't. lol

Much appreciated for all your suggestions.

liquid snake 18:54 05 Jul 03

im having a problem with my cd drive.....when i insert a disc it doesnt seem to shows the little cd icon above the mouse when the cd is inserted but its just doesnt come up with a prompt box and i go into my computer to see if it has loaded in there but it hasn' doesnt read blank cd's and some copied cd's......i had the same program on two different cd's but one worked and the othere one didnt....but they both work on my friends pc......what the hell is going on i need desperate help

Stuartli 21:09 05 Jul 03

Is the jumper on the rear of the drive set to Master (if this is the only drive installed)?

liquid snake 21:11 05 Jul 03

yes it is the only drive installed but what do you mean by jumper?

liquid snake 21:16 05 Jul 03

oops sorry i just realised you wernt talkin to me sorry......but do you have any idea about my problem?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…