CD Drive

muffin1947 12:09 09 Jul 08

Have just fitted a USB 2.0 vER Pci Host Card.
When I clicked on turn of computer to fit there was a message from microsoft saying they wer installing updates 1,2 and 3.When I restarted the computer the internet was not working and on speaking to BT they said it was probably the updates which caused it.They advised a system restore which I did going back one day.I then went to install the software for the Pci card but the disc drive does not work and I tried several other discs.When I was speaking to BT a rather loud noise like a screeching sound came from the computer which lasted about 5 secs.My internet is ok now as you can see but the disc drive is not working therefore cannot get the Pci card to work.Sorry this was so long hope someone can advise

Ditch999 12:15 09 Jul 08

What OS is it?
A USB PCI card should not really need any software installed as all the drivers that are required are supplied with XP or later.
Sounds like the CD drive has had it.
Does it show up in Device Manager or Explorer?

muffin1947 12:24 09 Jul 08

Hi Ditch999, It does not appear in device manager as for the USB Pci card why would nothing work when I plug them into the new card ie Mouse,Keyboard or printer I still have to use my four port USB hub.

muffin1947 12:25 09 Jul 08

Hi again Ditch999 I use windows XP

Ditch999 12:49 09 Jul 08

Re USB card: It may be a dud. Does it show up in Device Manager? Did you get the Windows has detected new hardware wizard when you rebooted with the card installed?
Re CD: Check the cables inside that they have not come loose

muffin1947 15:00 09 Jul 08

Hi again Ditch999 presuming my CD writer has had it as you suggest would you or any other person reading my posting know a good site from which to get a replacement.I dont want anything special just your average writer.I spotted this one earlier perhaps I could get some opinions
click here

Ditch999 19:01 09 Jul 08

To be honest you would be better spending a little more and buying a DVD RW (which has CD rewriting built in as well) for about £15
Have a look at Ebuyer click here they also do CD RWs for £6

Ditch999 19:02 09 Jul 08

That has to be my best one yet!!
Try this link instead click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017