cd drive

rachel84 11:56 07 May 06

I was wondering if anybody could tell me how long I can burn and erase a cd on a drive before I risk destroying it? I'm a sound artist doing a piece for my degree show and I want to run three laptops for about ten days in total - roughly six hours each day. If i slow down the write speed as much as possible and give them an hour break each day ( say 2 and a half hours each side) am I still running a huge risk of destroying the drives? I can rotate the computers Im using for the actual show itself but there are a few days where Im being asessed and wont be able to go into the room where they're running. Also does anybody know how expensive it is to replace a cd-drive? for my own lap top its a risk im willling to take but as im borrowing some I will need to replace anything if it breaks. All i hear is hugely expensive - but how huge exactly? Any ideas would be hugely appreciated.

remind 13:04 07 May 06

is it essential they're physical cd's? using a virtual drive would save wear and tear - daemon tools
click here

remind 13:09 07 May 06

a device's expected lifespan under `normal` conditions is called the mtbf. manufacturers must test them to destruction but i've never seen those figures quoted in specs. high cost to replace laptop cdrw's - you could pick up 3 usb CDRW drives and save yourself a lot of money overall if anything were to fail; click here

mtbf; click here

rachel84 13:50 07 May 06

the more i look into the external drives _ i originally didnt want to use these but it seems like the best option by far now! i had a look at the website for virtual drives but i dont really understand how this works? is the drive still engaged but just no cd in it? its the sound of the burning process that im after. i was using a wait command in my program - a command my brother wrote for me which tells my cd drive to pause for a certain amount of time - the reason i wasnt doing this was because every time the wait came up the doss screen was disappearing, but the more info i have it seems the problem isnt so much a six consistent hours of burning ( although thats potentially bad news) as much as using the drive for 60 hours which is probably more than most people use their drives for burning _ i work with sound nd i still wouldnt say Ive used mine that much - is that correct? - im a bit confused as to whether the danger occurs through using the drive non stop for a long time or in using the drive over a week - would giving the drive a break every hour or so completely solve the problem or does it just reduce the danger of burning out because it reduces the over-all time im burning? i.e. 6 hours by 10 days is 60 hours of use. if i have four wait commands that changes to four hours by ten - forty hours - better but not solving the problem. I hope Im making some sense _ im pretty ignorant about computers. is it consistency of use or simply the amount of burning i want to do that is the issue?

Totally-braindead 14:05 07 May 06

I think you have too many threads going here rachel84 on basically the same thing but from different viewpoints its getting a bit confusing. What do you mean about "its the sound of the burning process that im after." is that all you want? Nothing else? In that case and the computers not doing anything else why can you not just record the sound and play that or am I missing the point here?

remind 14:08 07 May 06

in terms of cost it's your best bet.

virtual drives use a large file on the hard-drive (650 or 700mb, the same as an actual CD), and appear to the OS as a physical device or drive.

as far as i am aware there is no `sound` associated with cd burning, not an audible one anyway; not entirely clear on that but you wouldnt have reached the stage you're at without an idea what you want eh
of course, with a virtual drive, there is no actual use of the CD mechanism so it probably won't do what you require

that is a hell of a lot of burning...your cdrw disks would probably fail before the drives and need a fresh one every so often. its really hard to quantify without testing a machine to destruction or failure - i think the external drives will save you so much cost and hassle it's got to be the way to go - you will pay much more to replace internal drives - parts and labour.

i think the heat generated in a drive with constant use is bound to shorten its life, it will affect the electrical components if nothing else - it may sound daft, but if your brother programmed a pause, can he program a command to eject the tray or cd to allow some cool air into the drive - it can be done in java im sure. i realise laptop drives usually only pop open a centimetre or two if they have a tray, and it would make no difference on drives that just accept the CD with no tray.

the main problem will be the heat generated, if you can keep the drives as cool as possible it will help.

remind 14:08 07 May 06

sorry is that the same thread in the main helproom. i'll confine any other comments there

rachel84 14:34 07 May 06

totally braindead - sorry - this forum is really good - I've been trying lots over the past few days often with no response - the two posts was to maximise the possibility of a reply. Its an installtion piece so the physical computers, doss screen etc. is v. important. Im using piezo transducers to amplify the sound inside a cd-drive- when it writes and erases using a contact microphone like a piezo sounder plugged into a mixer/amp theres a lot of different sounds. thanks for all your help - i think i'll try to connect them to the external drive as well as the main body and see what kind of sound I get. thanks once more for all your help.

DieSse 15:04 07 May 06

The sound of the motor spinning the disk, and the motor moving the heads will drown out any other sounds, as well as vibration transmitted from other fans and motors in the system - so what exactly are you trying to acheive here?

I'm not even aware that a CD being burnt actually makes a sound.For sure CD-Rs would likely be different to CD-RWs, as the process is somewhat different.

You are aware that commercially produced CDs are pressed rather like conventional records, not burnt? (if this is relevant to what you are doing).

What's the relevance of "the sound of a CD being burnt"?

Why are you expecting to see a "doss" (sic) screen in such a process?

rachel84 15:22 07 May 06

my doss screen is because im using a very basic program in order to do the constant burn erase from a command line - thats the aesthetic i want - its basically just "erasing disk...done writing disk...closing disc...done". The sounds im talking about would be those engaged when burning a disc - sorry if i made it sound very literal - I did consider just getting the computer to convert batch files or something, but for concept this works best for me - eh... I dont know if this is relevant to a forum. Ive been making work thats quite self-referential - the burning and erasing references a closed system this is about as brief as I can be! its actually part of a series of other pieces which dont involve computer programs etc.

terryf 16:47 07 May 06

Having recorded a short piece, why not just copy that sound in some music editing software or make a loop so that you are then playing about with a digital image rather than using physical equipment, after all a cd drive sounds the same next day as it does today when it is carrying out the same operation, I defy you to listen to two consecutive recording of the cd drive and (using the human ear) tell any difference.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…