CD creation

Rhodie 13:45 11 Dec 03

Is there a programme which I can use to backup which allows file names greater than 25 characters. I have used Nero and easy CD creator but when using any of these I have to rename most of my files which is both time consuming and confusing when restoring backups. To resolve this problem I use Easy CD Creador direct CD using the CD/RW disc in same type of format a floppy disk. I have to locate files from various sources - copy into a folder then paste folder into disk or drag and drop. The problem with this is time consuming.
I am using Window 98SE

Diodorus Siculus 17:23 11 Dec 03

click here for cobian - I use it to copy and zip files to one location and then can burn the zip to CD.

I know it is not ideal, but works well for me.

Gongoozler 19:39 11 Dec 03

Rhodie, I don't think Nero or Easy CD creator ar eto blame. The file name limitations are due to the file system used for burning. click here

Rhodie 23:48 29 Dec 03

I've given up on being able to copy docs with long file names to cd's - today it took all day to copy my documents folder to 4 cd's using direct cd.
As an alternative, if I purchased another internal hard drive, would it be easy enough to use the second drive for backup purposes only by dragging and dropping from one drive to the next. Would it therefore accept long file names and would I need more software?

DieSse 23:56 29 Dec 03

A second hard drive is ideal for backup. The long file name isuue is for CDs only - it doesn't occur when saving to another hard drive.

As a suggestion, why not get a caddie for your second drive - then you can take it out and keep it safe - yet another improvement in the backup scenario.

Yes you could drag and drop - no, you wouldn't need more software - though some good free backup software may automate the process and thus save some time.

Rhodie 23:59 29 Dec 03

Excuse my ignorance what is a caddie. Also considering maybe an external hard drive - which is best - any recommendations?

DieSse 00:00 30 Dec 03

PS - the way I do it is to have two 80Gb drives, both in caddies. I then clone (make an exact duplicate) of the main one onto the backup one.

Even if my main hard drive collapses completely, I can slot in the other one, and have a complete identical working system in seconds.

Ask if you want more details how to do this - with your OS details too please.

Rhodie 00:01 30 Dec 03

using Windowns 98SE. Your idea sounds good to me - need instructions though.
Thanks

DieSse 00:04 30 Dec 03

A caddie is a two part system - a tray with a plug on which holds the hard drive, and a receptacle which fits inside the system, and the drive tray plugs into.

JerryJay 00:13 30 Dec 03

Another possible solution: Get a DVD bunner. It seems that DVD does not use the same file system as CD. click here

Rhodie 00:20 30 Dec 03

JerryJay - I want to get away from burning any type of disk - causes too much hassle. Something simple like dragging and dropping to another hard drive seems more appealing for a computer dinosaur.
Floppy disks still appeal to me - just unfortunate they dont' come in 20gb size.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Glassworks Barcelona shows how it captured the artistic imagination of Conor in A Monster Calls

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…