cd crashes laptop

TREACLES 09:24 26 Jun 08

When I put a new blank cd in to enable me to copy files to it it crashes the laptop. but if I put in a free cd which comes with a magazine it works and does not crash. regards TONY

Technotiger 09:39 26 Jun 08

What program are you trying to use to make the CD, and are you inserting the blank CD before or after opening that program?

Jak_1 09:57 26 Jun 08

I had this problem with my DVD writer, it turned out that the writer laser was u/s and things were fine after installing a new writer.

Technotiger 10:05 26 Jun 08

Also, it might just need a Cleaning CD run a few times.

Les28 10:25 26 Jun 08

When you say crashes do you mean freezes or shuts down the pc and is this before or after you've copied files to the disc, some burning programs have an option shut down pc after burning a disc, wondered whether that option is ticked. Or are you using Windows XP's built in cd recording options?

How exactly are you sending the things you want copying to the drive, drag and drop into the burning program, or file open add in the burning program or right clicking and send to burner ?

In My Computer if you right click the burner drive icon, left click properties, select the recording tab, is enable burning on this drive ticked?

I assume this is a new problem and it used to work OK. You used to be able to burn or play discs and now you can only play discs?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5