CD and CDRW Drives

gableendie 12:17 30 May 04

During the last couple of weeks, every time I have 'clicked' on anything, a CD symbol has appeared beside the Mouse arrow, and there has been a 'clicking' noise from either my CD Reader or my CDRW.Does any body out there know:
a) Are my Windows files corrupted ?
b) If either my CD or CDRW Drives are knackered, how do I know which ? (I have two drives, the lower - nearest the Floppy - is 'D', and is the CDRW drive). 'E', the uppermost, is the CD Reader.
Can anybody help,
PS My OS is Windows XP Home.

TommyRed 12:33 30 May 04

Mister Splendid 12:39 30 May 04

I think the first thing to do is to check the integrity of the ide cable. Either borrow one you know to be good or buy another one and see if fitting it fixes your problem. The fact that both drives are missbehaving in the same way at the same time suggests to me that a failed cable is possibly the cause.

Totally-braindead 12:47 30 May 04

I would suggest that since you don't know which cd drive is the culprit that you disconnect the power lead from the two drives one at a time and check to see when you restart if the noise goes away, you should then at least be able to say which drive it is. Incidentely something similar happened to a mate it went on for about a week and it was easily solved, he'd left a disk in one of the drives and everytime it started it tried to read it and had a sort of clicking comming from the drive. Solution - take the disk out of the drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event as it happened | Apple October Event live blog: Apple unveils new MacBook Pro at…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Graeme Messer's exhibition aims to challenge fears and insecurities

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…