CD burnings will not play on cdplayer

gel 12:45 09 Jan 05

Using XP windows with windows media player 9 or Real player
I can burn cds ok and they play on my PC but they will not play on my CD PLAYER
Any ideas please

Graham ® 12:51 09 Jan 05

Are you using RW (rewritable) discs?

huzzar 12:52 09 Jan 05

You didn't mention what type of media files you burned onto CD. If they were MP3s then they won't play on your home CD player.

Totally-braindead 12:56 09 Jan 05

The possibilities are as the others have pointed out 1 you're using CDRW disks most hifis won't read them or 2 you've burned the CD as data rather than music again the hifi won't read them or 3 - the cd player won't read CDRs at all, possible if its an old player but unlikely or 4 you've not closed the disk and therefore the cd player can't see the disk.

TomJerry 12:57 09 Jan 05

CDsD/DVDs bought from shops are pressed, but CDRs are burnt, so they are different

gel 13:01 09 Jan 05

Thank you for comments I am using CD RW
I do not know the answer to question 'what type of media files' I was burning. What should they be and how do I choose the correct media file ?

Totally-braindead 13:11 09 Jan 05

If you use CDRW thats CD rewriteable disks then it won't play on a normal CD player(there are some exceptions but in general thats true) use CDR disks, theres no special type to recommend as far as I'm concerned but some people say the audio CDR disks are better for audio.

Totally-braindead 13:26 09 Jan 05

Type of media files - if you want to create an audio CD you burn it as audio, if you burn it as Data then most cd players can't read it.

huzzar 14:23 09 Jan 05

Media file types.

For music there is .WAV (wave files) and .MP3.

The difference is: - a CD will hold about 20 .WAV files (like you buy in shops) the same CD will hold about 240 MP3 files.

MP3 files can only be played on PCs, MP3 players and DVD players both PC & home. They cannot be played on CD players, they must first be converted to .WAV files.

gel 16:55 09 Jan 05

Thank you very much indeed I am sure you have suggested sufficient for me to resolve the problem.
I will try all your suggestions. In the mean time I think with confidence I can say the matter will be resolved Thanks again

Mr Mistoffelees 17:38 09 Jan 05

If your cd player is not a recent model it may also not be happy with disks written at high speed. My old cd player, an excellent Technics machine but 13 years old, will not play disks written at more than 12x speed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Battlefield 1 review: Destructive environments, phenomenal graphics and an emotional campaign make…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Microsoft HoloLens hands-on review

How to use System Preferences in macOS Sierra (and Mac OS X): Complete guide to personalising the…