CD burning problems has made some files unopenable

Grendel 12:24 15 Dec 07

I was burning some files to a CD-R (Win Vista recent laptop) and as is often the case it took 3 attempts to succeed. Anyway I've now discovered that many of the files burnt are now unopenable. The files are all still there on the C drive with the correct file size and type details (Word document, JPG, WMV etc) but they just don't open. If a Word document for example, the encoding conversion box comes up and the text is all a stream of Y characters. For the WMVs, WMP says it can't open the file. For JPGs Picture Viewer just displays a small x in the centre. All files not involved in the CD burning are ok so it's definitely that. Sent the CD off to a friend who I can ask if they're ok on and copy back to me, but any ideas otherwise? - particularly as the files are still in place.

Technotiger 13:50 15 Dec 07

You could try a System Restore back to before you did the Burn.

Grendel 16:04 15 Dec 07

Tried System Restore to before the time of the burn but as it advises, it doesn't affect documents, so it made no difference. Restarting PC no joy either. Nor does copying the affected files to a new location or emailing them to myself. I've had CD burning problems before but they've it's affected the original files.

tullie 16:26 15 Dec 07

Odd isent it,i suppose you could delete them,then copy from cd back on to computer if you wanted.Any way,if they are on cd why a need to have on computer.?

Grendel 16:37 15 Dec 07

As I said in the original posting, I've sent the CD off in the post to a friend some distance away. The files on that CD might now be unopenable too - will have to wait until he receives it to check - after burning the CD I checked they were all on it, but didn't try to open any - you assume if a file is listed properly that it opens with the appropriate program.

Moral is to update the backup before burning CDs / DVDs but this has never happened before in years of burning. Fortunately flash drives continue to fall in price as burning CDs has always been temperamental.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…