//some 3rd party need geo

CD Burning and Formats

TonyTT 21:37 02 Oct 05

One more quick one.

I have just burned a CD with Nero using the "Burn an audio CD" selection from the CD main menu. It says you can play a disc burned from this on all CD players.

I drag and dropped an album in the MP3 format, which it had no problem accepting, and it burned quite happily.

However when I came to play it on a normal 6 year old CD player it did not even recognise that there was a disc in it.

I assume this is a format problem. What format are CD's bought from a shop in, and can you reformat MP3 files into this format?

Any help much appreciated.

Thalmus 23:37 02 Oct 05

When cd's were first released they were able to store 650MB, after a few years they relised they could squesse a bit more memory in there and 700 MB cd's were released and are what are in use today.

However, these new 700 MB don't conform to the orginal 'bluebook' standard for CD's, so an old cd player will not recognise them.

Have you tired using the CD's you created in a newer CD system?

If you buy CD's that are 650 MB, then they should work on your CD player

Thalmus 23:46 02 Oct 05

The standard for audio CD's is 'red book' not 'blue book'

Confab 14:07 03 Oct 05

Are you burning to CDR or CDRW?

CDRW's are less reliable in older players.

Confab 14:12 03 Oct 05

Also if you selected the "Burn an audio CD" option then Nero will convert the MP3 file to a format which can be recognised by a CD player.

TonyTT 16:51 03 Oct 05

Confab, thanks for that, i am using CD-RW. Also when I select "Burn an audio CD" on Nero the resulting CD's are not being recognised by the older CD players. Is this normal?

Thalmus I think I'll try yor suggestion, thanks.

TonyTT 16:52 03 Oct 05

Confab, thanks for that, i am using CD-RW. Also when I select "Burn an audio CD" on Nero the resulting CD's are not being recognised by the older CD players. Is this normal?

Thalmus I think I'll try yor suggestion, thanks.

Confab 10:12 04 Oct 05

The resulting CD's are not being recognised by the older CD players. Is this normal?

Yes this is normal. CDRW's are less reflectived than CDR's so some CD players can not play them.

Southernboy 14:20 04 Oct 05

A friend burned a number of audio CDs (from 78s) for me and they would not play on my Sony CD player.

Sought advice at local hi-fi shop who sold me a Marantz CD Player that states on the front "CDRW Compatible" and problem solved.

Confab 14:27 04 Oct 05

I would probably have been a lot cheaper if your friend re-burned the CDRW's to CDR's.

RW's should not be used for long term storage or archiving material nor are they very good at being burnt at high speed. The only thing that they have going for them is that they can be re-written. Great for short term use but nothing else.

Totally-braindead 20:15 04 Oct 05

Agree with Confab TonyTT if you want to keep the disks you'd be better burning them onto CDRs as they will last longer, CDRWs degrade too quickly and you may lose the work.

And as the others have said if the CD player doesn't have CDRW on it it won't read these types of disks, incidently some older CD players will not read CDRs either so if you do burn the CDRW onto a CDR and it still doesn't work on your 6 year old player try it on a newer player to confirm it is actually ok.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…