CD Burning directly with Windows XP lost...

Watdoc2 11:46 13 Oct 03

Hi! [warning: longish post]

I have a nearly 6 mo old HP Pavilion PC suing Pentium 4 running Windows XP home edition SP1. I have lost the "Recorder" tab in property of my HP DVD writer 200j. WIndows XP does not recognise the DVD writer nor CD-RW/CD-R discs as writable.
BUT I can record happily with Musicmatch Burner [Musicmatch v8.1) and RecordNow v4.5. Sonic MyDVD does not recognise the drive and I fear I will not be able to make home DVDs.

I have looked at the Microsoft site and followed advice about the DeviceValue to no avail. I also tried changing the DMA setting with no effect either.

I tried rolling back to a restore point, but the system told me that it could not perform a system restore!

I'm stumped - how do I get the "recorder" tab back for my DVD writer? HP say that their DVD writer runs with Windows XP IDE driver, but I cannot find this file on my system or on the web.

davejo 12:02 13 Oct 03

I suggest you go here click here give the information required and then download the updates/patches and see if this helps.

pookie 12:02 13 Oct 03

this has happened to me in last few days with Nero. cd rw discs not shown as writeable and I can't drop and drag to burn files.

davejo 12:06 13 Oct 03

I think its worth knowing that that using cheap writable dvd's and cd's are not worth the time and money.
Always use well known brand names like TDK or Memorex etc.....
Also go to your software makers site and get the latest updates/patches on a regular basis.

Watdoc2 12:43 13 Oct 03

I've checked out Sonic website already - the only offer there is to upgrade to the next version of MyDVD!

Any idea how to restore that recorder tab property for my DVD writer?

Watdoc2 12:45 13 Oct 03

I am using TDK disks and BASF disks - they worked fine until a few weeks ago. The other software is happy to write to them; it's Windows XP native software that seems to have the hump with the DVD Writer's recording capability.

Al94 12:55 13 Oct 03

I have always used cheap CD -R from Lidl at around £3.99 per pack of 10 and have never had one failure, probably have used around 2/300!!!

Al94 13:00 13 Oct 03

It appears you may have a few problems if restore isn't working. I presume your system came with a Restore CD to put it all back as supplied. If all else fails, use that after backing up important files. Should get it all up and running again, (I presume all hardware is as original)

Watdoc2 15:24 13 Oct 03

Come on guys, where has my RECORDER TAB gone in the DVD Writer properties?

Surely there is a registry key that tells Windows XP that the disc writer is recordable.

My system actually is working very well - it ran the Aquanox 2 demo flawlessly (unlike the aquanox 1 full program I might add!). Using the restore system function (an HP management tool) seems too drastic for a littly glitch.

Watdoc2 11:16 14 Nov 03

System Restore after quick format of hard drive!

Jester2K II 11:48 14 Nov 03

"System Restore after quick format of hard drive"

How did you do a System Restore AFTER formatting??? Or do you mean a reinstall of Windows?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 Plus review: better cameras and waterproofing make this the best iPhone yet

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple to launch new Macs and MacBook Pros at an event on October 27

iPhone vs Android | iOS vs Android: 5 reasons why Apple's iPhones beat Google Android smartphones ()…