CD burning

hoverman 10:32 27 Aug 03

I use Nero and have no problems burning multi-session CD's. Whenever I add further files to a CD my CD-RW drive has no problem reading all the files on it.

However, my LG DVD drive will only read files created at the first session. It will not read any added at a later one.

Not really a problem so long as by CD-RW drive can read everything. I would very much like to know why my DVD drive cannot. Any ideas??

The Sack 11:22 27 Aug 03

because it cannot read multi-session discs?

hoverman 11:30 27 Aug 03

That's what I thought to be honest. Just wondered if anyone knew any different. Thanks.

alcudia 11:39 27 Aug 03

Does this mean that if I want to burn a cd for viewing pictures on a player connected to a TV (which I am soon to do) they all have to be done at once, and I cannot add more images at a later date.

stlucia 12:40 27 Aug 03

To respond to Hoverman's question, it is a known problem that some combined DVD/CD drives cannot read home-burned discs. Also, they're usually more choosy if you're using RW disks. With experimentation, you may find that your LG drive will read some brands but not others.

I think the answer to alcudia's question is that you probably can't add more images later. But it will depend on your recording/burning software rather than the disk format, because when you're making a slide show to play on your standalone DVD player the burning software also automatically places other software, indexes, etc. onto the disk to enable the standalone player to read it.

Ben Avery 13:56 27 Aug 03

If the viewing drive reads CDRW then you don't have a problem as each time you add piccy's all you need to do is clean the CDRW and reburn them all back on including the new ones.

As it's a CDRW there's no loss of discs and with CDRW writing at 24x these days, it won't even take long to do.

BA

hoverman 18:00 27 Aug 03

I am using CD-R disks and have been advised NEVER to entrust valuable back-up data to CD-RW. I have concluded that my DVD drive is not capable of reading data added later. Thanks to all for your replies.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…