CD burner telling me lies

geoff47 01:03 27 Dec 05

I have recently had problems burning CDs.

At first I was getting an error message (cannot recall what it said right now) and then after apparently burning successfully, there is nothing on the disc.
I am using CD BurnerXP Pro3,I am trying to clean up my HD by moving rubbish and image files onto CDs,and am now unable to it.
I am using Win 98.
I have uninstalled (repaired) the program, checked the drives, reinstalled drivers, all the normal suspects.

Any clues what I do next?
Geoff47

Gongoozler 08:57 27 Dec 05

As the computer is ld enough to be using Windows 98, it is quite likely that the laser has died. Fortunately CD burners are easy to replace and aren't very expensive click here.

geoff47 13:55 27 Dec 05

Do lasers just die like that?
What you are saying makes sense....but why does it tell me it has written the disc?
I am supposing it is doing its side of the business but the laser is letting it down?

Didn't want to have to change it right now....but if that is the general concensus.....will have to.
Many thanks.
Geoff47

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:10 27 Dec 05

First of all check the disk in another PC to prove there is nothing on it.

What sort of disks are you using CD r / CD rw

have yo finalised the disks?

woodchip 14:18 27 Dec 05

Check the Drive with a Different Data Ribbon Cable

Carbonara 14:20 27 Dec 05

Unless you burn to the max capacity, you can usually see, visually, whether anything has been burned. Different shading by reflected light.

Gongoozler 15:52 27 Dec 05

Yes, lasers do die. They work at quite high power when burning and do eventually die without much warning. Unless you have set the software to verify the data it is probably just telling you that it has completed the burn process. Although there are other possibilities I think a dead laser is the most likely. Try the other suggestions before buying a new drive though.

geoff47 19:40 27 Dec 05

I am using CD rw which are not finalised.
I have not checked on another PC but have had a look on both CD drives and can "see" content on other discs on both drives.I wouldn't know how to "see" if the disc has burnt or not, I dont do this thing very often.

I was hoping that it might just want to be cleaned.
Would trying different data cables mean buying some?
If so it would be just as well to go for the new drive?

Many thanks so far.
Geoff47

Stuartli 19:57 27 Dec 05

CD-RW disks are very much less reflective than a CD-R disk (which is why using them in multisession mode is preferable to rewritable versions).

It could be that the drive can't read the disks even though it may have burned them.

Try the disks in a different system first to see if they work before ditching the drive.

Does the drive read CD-Rs, CD-ROMs or audio disks (different laser)?

Gongoozler 19:57 27 Dec 05

Hi geoff47. A CD-R that has been written on will look different over the written area because the dye has been distorted by the laser. remember that a CD is written from the centre outwards. You will need to look carefully because the change is quite subtle. An IDE cable isn't expensive, this is the Ebuyer cable click here, but postage will be extra. Your local computer shop will be more expensive - but post free. If you have a spare position on an IDE cable on your computer, you could try that, but may then have to change the link on the drive to Master or Slave as appropriate.
The CD-R drive I linked to above is the OEM version, so it will be shipped without cables or screws, a retail version will be a few pounds more and for either you will also have to add postage, which for a heavy device such as a CD drive will be about £6.

I very much doubt that cleaning will help.

Stuartli 20:05 27 Dec 05

One other point, if the rewriter is an older model, it may not be able to write/read disks capable of recording at higher speeds.

Sometimes a firmware upgrade will suffice to overcome this point; try the manufacturer's website for information in the Support section.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…