cd burner slow

bethie 17:28 12 Nov 07

I use nero express in my computer to burn cd's. I'm on windows xp. It used to take 6 minutes to burn a cd but now it's taking 20. I hear the tower making a "rushing" kind of accelerated noise every few minutes while it's burning. Is this a problem? Thank you. bethie

ambra4 18:46 12 Nov 07

“It used to take 6 minutes to burn a cd but now it's taking 20”

The time it takes to burn a cd is dependant on the amount and type of data you burning to the cd and the speed of the cd-r

It is generally acknowledged as good practice to burn audio CDs at speeds no higher than 4x

Don't underestimate the importance of the chemistry of the CD-R itself.

Just like CD burners, not all CD-R are created equal and there is a significant difference in the quality of the media from different manufacturers, sometimes even from batch to batch from the same manufacturer.

All CDs are rated for a specific burning speed.

Some burning software performs an integrity test on the CD prior to initiating the burn sequence.

This test determines the CD’s speed capacity and can limit the burning speed.

If you try to burn a CD at a higher-than-rated speed, the burn will likely fail.

“I hear the tower making a "rushing" kind of accelerated noise every few minutes while it's burning”

These is normal noise as the drive start up and check the speed to burn to the disk

bethie 19:24 12 Nov 07

ambra4, thank you so much for the help. I didn't know any of that stuff. Strangers helping strangers on the internet is just so GREAT. Thanks again, bethie

Stuartli 19:36 12 Nov 07

Do you alter the burning speed used from the Nero menu when first setting up a burning session?

Another point is that if you open with Nero SmartStart you choose whether to burn CD or DVD disks - the latter's speeds are very much slower than those used by CD media.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017