CD Burner not working

thefuse 13:28 21 Jan 06

I'm on XP with a sony vaio and yesterday installed several dvd programmes trying to burn a dvd from a cd. now my cd burner is refusing to record anything.
it will play though.
i installed davideo2 dvdsqueeze and dvd decryptor.
added to this problem was that i was in the middle of removing malware and the advisor on the forum told me to switch off system restore so i cant go back to before the problem.
any ideas?

BurrWalnut 13:43 21 Jan 06

Download CD-DVD-FIX from click here

It's an improved version of CDGONE.

Make a restore point first then run CD-DVD-FIX then reinstall you burning software (one only as more than one can cause conflictions).

BurrWalnut 13:57 21 Jan 06

Whoops!

'your' burning... not 'you' burning...

pj123 14:14 21 Jan 06

Am I being a bit thick here or have I misunderstood.

You say "trying to burn a dvd from a cd. now my cd burner is refusing to record anything."

You can't burn a DVD with a CD burner??

thefuse 14:23 21 Jan 06

i tried the cd-dvd fix but that didnt work.
i wasnt trying to burn a dvd from a cd. i was trying to convert an mpeg to dvd and i used to be able to make dvds on my cdrom but now i cant burn anything

pj123 14:36 21 Jan 06

I think you must clarify what it is you have installed on your Sony Vaio.

What model Sony is it? Does it have a CD burner or a DVD burner etc..

You are now saying "i used to be able to make dvds on my cdrom but now i cant burn anything"

Stuartli 16:31 21 Jan 06

A CD-ROM drive will only replay audio CD/CD-R/CD-RW disks, a DVD-ROM drive will do the same for both CD and DVD disks, a CD-RW rewriter will only write to (or play audio CD) CD-R/CD-RW disks and a DVD rewriter will write to (or play as appropriate) both CD and DVD media disks.

thefuse 09:29 22 Jan 06

the model number is PCG 791M. is that what you need to know?
and i i believe it is a dvd rewriter as i used to be able to write and play both cds and dvds

pj123 13:40 22 Jan 06

Seems to be about 5 different versions of the PCG 791M depending on the processor speed (VGN FS115).

But all of them (as you say) are fitted with a DVD +/- burner.

Have you tried Neroburn?

thefuse 14:10 22 Jan 06

yes its a FS115E and ive tried neroburn but i get the message that there are compatability issues and nothing happens.
isnt there a way to get back to original settings on the computer?

Biotech 14:49 22 Jan 06

In the registry there are some settings to discard something to do with upper and lower filters, cannot remember the complete registry key, perhaps somebody can advise.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…