CD Burn Life span

Newuser2533 19:02 31 Oct 03

I'm being informed that after burning information onto a CD that the life expectency is six months.
can you advise please as i have many family trees saved this way.
regards.
ron

Falkyrn 19:18 31 Oct 03

There are numerous pieces of information going around regarding the lifespan of diffent cdr and cdrw discs ..... mainly from the manufacturers claiming that their disks are the ones which will last and everyone elses will lose their integrity.

I would advise taking such claims with a very large pinch of salt.

The only problem you may face a few years down the line is different drives react in sometimes strange ways to disks not created on them and this may give difficulties but I am sure that the information itself will remain intact for some time well over the alleged 6 month mark.

james55 23:58 31 Oct 03

I know this issue is resolved, but to all new users there is a lot of information about scratches on the reading surface, but the real problem is the top surface. It is the one most in danger. Unlike pressed Discs the information is stored near the Top surface hence the warnings about how you write your titles on them.
Keep your Discs in a proper manner and they will last longer than the system you are using. As time goes by if your information is important to you, you would be wise to transfer it to the new format. What will that be, who knows maybe we will spin discs as in the original film Time Machine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…