cd auto start

honda5 01:10 05 Aug 03

The CD auto start has stopped operating even though the auto insert ntification field is ticked in the device managers CD setting panel.
With the CD inserted , it starts up but then shuts down after about 10 seconds .I'm not particularly clued up on PC sysyems and would appreciate some help on this rather annoying fault - thanks
Pc is running Windows ME with a AMD Duron proceesror at 7000 Mhz and with 256MB Ram

hugh-265156 01:29 05 Aug 03

click start then click run and type "regedit" and click ok.

click on:

double click CDROM and set the value data to 1

reboot to take effect.

philwane 07:25 05 Aug 03

I have the same problem as honda5 so I did as suggested

double click CDROM and set the value data to 1))

but there is no entry called CDROM

Stuartli 08:47 05 Aug 03

Your last paragraph completely negates what you stated you did.....:-)

Do you mean that you followed the advice and discovered that there was no CDROM entry?

philwane 11:35 05 Aug 03

hugh-265156 15:43 05 Aug 03

you need to create it then
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services then right click select "new" then "DWORD" and call it "CDRom" and ok.

double click it and set the value to 1 and restart.

hugh-265156 15:46 05 Aug 03

im sorry thats wrong.

right click and select "new key" call it CDROM then on the right create new DWORD called "Autorun" and set this value to 1.

steve12345 20:45 05 Aug 03

If you don't want to mess about in the registry, you could download PowerToys from Microsoft. This lets you enable/disable the auto-running of Data and/or Audio CDs while auto-insert is enabled. (as well as other settings)

steve12345 03:54 10 Aug 03

By Email:

"Opened Tweak 11 up but wasn't able to find where the autorun field was , can you help any more ?"

Yes, that's Tweak UI. It's under the Paranoia Tab - "Things that happen behind your back".

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…