//some 3rd party need geo

CCTV on aPC

richierich 17:45 05 Sep 03

Want to hook up a cctv in another room so I can view it on my PC.
Understand I can use a webcam but am I right in thinking you cant use a usb cable longer than 2 or 3 metres.
Any advice please

MAJ 17:54 05 Sep 03

A lot of devices will not work if you use a USB cable longer than 3 metres, HP printers in particular. I'm not sure about your camera though.

richierich 17:57 05 Sep 03

also I would like to record, with time lapse onto computer hardrive, how do I go about this? Are there any programmes for this?

david.h 18:14 05 Sep 03

yes lots of places have the cctv record to large hdd's with very good viewing, i dont know the software, but if you have a littentree pub near by ask them all their pubs cctv goes on to a hdd on a computer at each pub which in turn can be view at any time by head office

wee eddie 19:56 05 Sep 03

was discussed back in march. If I remember rightly 5 meters was mentioned and a method of boosting the signal so that multiple cables could be used. Use the search engine for the whole thread

I don't think that USB2 and Firewire suffer from this limit.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…