CCleaner, which boxes to check?

gazmix 18:56 04 Jun 07

Hi
I just downloaded CCLeaner as i've heard its the best programme to get rid of all unbwanted crap from your pc.
When i have run it i get loads of boxes, some checked & some unchecked.
I don't know which to check & what not too.
I'm hoping to free up some hard drive space, but not delete anything from my documents or any programmes that i use! I' worried i may delte something important.

Are the boxes that are unchecked & checked the default selection & i should go by this?

Any help appreciated

Gaz

rawprawn 18:59 04 Jun 07

Yes you have the default setting, you can delete them without problem. Anyway it would never delete any of your documents or programs. Make a restore point first if you are worried.

SANTOS7 19:02 04 Jun 07

I have all but "autocomplete form history" and "advanced" section ticked, seems to work OK for me..

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:04 04 Jun 07

CCleaner (short for "Crap Cleaner") click here knows exactly where to find the files that slow down your computer. Get a quick understanding of CCleaner's features, and learn how to properly maintain your system to keep your computer quick and nimble.

Step 1: Focus your efforts

For a deep cleaning of your PC, you'll want to get into the nooks and crannies of your system. Using the Cleaner window (the default window when you launch CCleaner), you'll notice several checked boxes that indicate which areas of your computer will be cleaned. Most of the boxes are checked by default, so pay close attention if you only want to scrub certain areas. Tabs at the top offer the ability to clean Windows areas and other applications. Switching between the two tabs allows you to make your choices for a customized cleaning.

When you're done with your settings, click the Analyze button on the lower left to see which items will be cleaned. You'll see every file CCleaner will delete and also exactly how much memory will be returned to your system after the cleaning.

Note: It pays to peruse this list before hitting the Run Cleaner button to make sure you're not deleting something important. When you're ready, hit Run Cleaner and watch CCleaner go to work.

Step 2: Out with the old

The next step in our spring-cleaning protocol is akin to sorting through and cleaning out those old boxes in the garage. Click the Issues button on the left side of the interface to bring up another set of checked boxes. This set of tasks does everything from eliminating unused file extensions to trashing obsolete software. Uncheck the boxes you don't want to scan and click the Scan for Issues button. At the end of the scan you'll be given the option to click the Fix Selected Issues button.

Note: It is highly recommend you save your current Registry configuration at the prompt in case of a malfunction later. An additional window will ask if you wish to delete specific items. If you know of a specific item in the list that is not a problem, simply tell CCleaner not to fix it. Remember, if you save your configuration beforehand a mistake here is easily reversible.

Step 3: Uninstall and Startup manager

Windows comes with its own Add or Remove Programs utility, but it's often slow to load and not the easiest Control Panel item to configure. CCleaner quickly lists all of your active programs, and lets you highlight and uninstall software you no longer want. This part of the program utilizes tools already included in Windows, but the convenience and speed for quick uninstallations is tough to beat.

To manage your start-up programs, click the Startup button under the Uninstall button in the upper left of the interface. You'll see a list of active start-up items that launch when you boot up your system. Be very careful here: some items are not immediately identifiable and you wouldn't want to shut down your firewall, antivirus program, or any other important program.

Once you've run through the entire cleaning process, don't be surprised if your computer runs a bit faster. Depending on the capacity of your hard drive, you'll also free up a shocking amount of space if you haven't run a program like CCleaner recently.

Jackcoms 19:05 04 Jun 07

"but not delete anything from my documents or any programmes that i use! I' worried i may delte something important"

CCleaner doesn't touch documents so there is absolutely no chance of losing anything 'important'.

For what it's worth in 'Windows' I have everything ticked except 'History', 'Menu Order Cache', 'Tray Notification Cache', 'Windows Size/Location Cache', 'User Assist History', and 'Custom Files and Folders'.

In 'Applications' I have everything ticked.

GANDALF <|:-)> 19:08 04 Jun 07

Tick all the boxes in 'advanced' and it will clear up much more clutter especially old hotfix files.

G

Jackcoms 19:15 04 Jun 07

GANDALF <|:-)> actually means Hotfix UNINSTALLERS (you don't need those) not Hotfix Files (you do need those).

GANDALF <|:-)> 19:16 04 Jun 07

Correcto!

G

gazmix 20:01 04 Jun 07

oo er, i better just do the default CClean, i guess that'l be ok! I just wanna free up space thats taken up by what i don't need!

i'll click on al in advanced, i just hope nothing goes a missing.

I guess if nothings broken, i shouldn't fix it, all is running well, i just wanted to see if i coul free up more space!
I've run adaware se, spybot & Defraged my pc, just wondered if CCleaner would do more?

Thanks

rdave13 00:22 05 Jun 07

Here's another program to free up space, click here

wolfie3000 00:41 05 Jun 07

I use the default settings on Ccleaner and it does the job fine.

As for !cleanup, its a bit more intensive with its cleaning and requires you to logoff afterwards, but works well.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…