Ccleaner settings

gudda96 13:24 30 Apr 06

After reading a post where Skdzy recommended Ccleaner, I have downloaded/installed it.

Can anyone tell me the best/min settings please.

I dont mind a PM if it helps

SB23 13:43 30 Apr 06

Mine is set to clean all IE, Windows Explorer, and System. I don't use the advanced settings, although I probably should, but it works well.
Another one that I have installed is Cleanup click here I sometimes use this as CCleaner seems to miss some stuff occasionally. If you use Cleanup always make a copy of your registry, just in case, if your not sure of what its deleting (although now you can run it in demo mode first)

carper 15:01 30 Apr 06

I have used Ccleaner for at least twelve months and have only ever used the default settings.I use it after every browsing session and it is amazing how much it removes. The only things I have set up are the cookies which I want to save. These are ones which are needed to retain passwords so that you don't need to give passwords evry time you log in. The Issues section I find almost as good as Reg Cleaner.
Regards Carper

gudda96 16:24 30 Apr 06

SB23/Carper

So am I right in saying, you have everything ticked in IE--WE--System and after each browse or at least each day, you run cleaner, how about analize?

How about issues
It looks as though tools gives the same as Add/Remove?

ACOLYTE 16:35 30 Apr 06

Analise doesn't do anything it just inspects the system for things to remove based on what you have ticked on the main page,you can safely have every thing ticked apart from the advanced menu,this is usually left unticked by default.You can either tick or untick the auto complete forms button,depending on if you use this feature in IE.

Issues is the same you can scan for issues and it doesnt remove anything untill you tell it to,and it always give you the option to back up first,as this is your first time udsing ccleaner it would be a good idea to use the backup feature.
Most of what ccleaner finds you can safely delet without problems.

ACOLYTE 16:38 30 Apr 06

P.S

Ccleaner also cleans cookies so if you have any password cookies,like for this PCA site you can add those to the exclusion list in options cookies part of ccleaner before cleaning and it will never delete that cookie.It doesnt really matter if you remember all your usernames/passwords,but if your like me i forget lol.

gudda96 16:54 30 Apr 06

I cannot see the option to make back up's and whilst on that subject, if/when we clean withis ccleaner/spybot/regcleaner etc, we might make backup.

If we are trying to make space, is it not a contradiction if the files you removed are in a backup folder but still on pc??

SB23 17:15 30 Apr 06

Agree with ACOLYTE, most of the things that it will get rid of are fine. When I scan for issues, I always make a backup,(It'll ask you) Once I'm sure that the pc is running ok, I can go back and delete the backups. I find its better to be safe than sorry.

skidzy 17:54 30 Apr 06

As Sb23 says when you scan for issues it will ask you if you would like to make a back up..say yes.

Best thing i find is to tick everything under analyze except autocomplete form history,under the advanced tab....i leave that alone,i do not tick anything.

Issues i tick everything,the back up is made when prompted and saved to my documents.

Ive never had a problem or ever had the need to use the backup.

Again as SB23 says,Steven Gould's Cleanup is very good,this you can set to how aggressive you want it to be,be careful as this tool is powerful if you go to the thorough cleanup mode.

You may like to consider this also click here
Very reliable also.

gudda96 18:02 30 Apr 06

I have just run ccleaner and removed 400mb but I was not asked if I wanted to backup?

skidzy 18:06 30 Apr 06

You are asked under the scan for issues if you would like to make a backup,not the analyze and clean.

If you think you may have a problem before cleaning...make a system restore point first.

Hope this helps

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…