CCleaner: Issues

VCR97 20:17 24 Oct 04

I have just run CCleaner for the first time on my XP Home/SP1 system. The "Scan for Issues" brought up several "Invalid File Extensions". However, several of them appear to me to be perfectly valid. The all have Registry key

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\, (extension).

The extensions are $$$ avc bak BTL CH_ dal dtb NET old OVL pf qkt ref OpenWithList.

Can anyone shed any light on this, please? It doesn't do it on my Win98 system.

no-name 20:46 24 Oct 04

Keith S I don't know what those entries are, but if you delete them you're offered the choice to make a backup. They're usually leftovers from deleted programs.

Choose 'yes' and if there's a problem you can restore them.

I keep all mine for at least two days but haven't yet had to do a restore.

VoG II 20:48 24 Oct 04

See if RegscrubXP click here finds the same.

no-name 20:49 24 Oct 04

ps I've recently run CCleaner on my new laptop and cleared out quite a few entries that I assume were left there when the techies were setting up the system.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:00 24 Oct 04

These file extensions are not recognised as valid file extensions.

Don't panic it doesn't delete the file only the entry in the registry, just done it with a .bak file I created during some work.

The files wil work ok when called for by the appropriate program.

VCR97 20:22 26 Oct 04

Thanks for the responses. It seems that I can probably delete them but I'm puzzled as to how an extension such as .bak can be regarded as invalid.

VoG Regscrub doesn't find any in "Regscrub finds problems".

Tenacious Green 20:25 26 Oct 04

I wonder about some issues and as a matter of fact do not fix all issues raised only the ones I know need fixing i.e Removed program issue. Although the backup is there I am still apprehensive about fixing all items.
Advise would be appreciated.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:44 26 Oct 04

Always fixed All Issues never yet had a problem.

Tenacious Green 20:48 26 Oct 04

but what are the issues that contain the name of programs I still have installed. I just don't understand it enough to have complete faith in it.

VCR97 19:23 28 Oct 04

I let CCleaner delete the items with backup and all seems well. I'm guessing that "invalid file extension" actually means an invalid instance of use of a file extension. Pity it doesn't say so.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…