CCleaner Disk Wipe

muddypaws 11:54 08 Nov 10
Answered

I want to wipe an old external HDD in a caddy. It is on its last legs.
As a test I have ticked the external drive F in CCleaner, but haven't plucked up courage to go to 'Wipe'.
Has anyone used CC for wiping an external and if so is there a further confirmation option after selecting the drive to 'wipe'.
Would hate it to wipe C and my clone Q as well!!
I just tried d/loading 'Eraser', but it is very slow on the d/load page.
Of course if the HDD is on it's way out it might not wipe it anyway.
Thanks.

Belatucadrus 12:17 08 Nov 10

If the drive is on its last legs and not going to be recycled or passed on, have you considered the Mk 1 manual disk eraser AKA a hammer.
Most secure wiping tool out there.

gengiscant 12:17 08 Nov 10

Why not just format the external drive? Right click the drive, scroll down to format,etc etc.

muddypaws 12:27 08 Nov 10

gengiscant
Tried that. It comes up with the usual 'Unable..................close all other windows..' etc. Presumably that means use safe mode, which I assume wont show the external F.
Belatucadrus
Yes- have used that before!!

muddypaws 16:32 08 Nov 10

Smashed it up. Will resolve.

derekmiles 07:17 09 Nov 10

Put it in a saucepan, Just cover it with water.
Then boil it for 2 or 3 minutes.
Failing that, drop it in the river !

wolfie3000 07:21 09 Nov 10

I would advise not boiling it as the PCB inside can give off toxic chemicals.

Nail and mallet is the best way i find, straight through the platter while its in the case as the platter shards may explode everywhere.

muddypaws 13:24 09 Nov 10
Answer

I opened it, scored all the discs with a sharp screwdriver and broke the stylus? arms off. So should be knackered.
Thanks all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…