c&c generals crashing

goonerbill 00:41 26 Feb 03

have command and conquer-generals and the game keeps crashing to desktop. have gigabyte ga-7vax mobo, cpu xp2000+, msi ti4400 g/card, 512mb pc2700 ddr ram. have latest drivers and so on. also running win me.

as already said, crashes to desktop with box saying "technical difficulties" and the message inside "sorry,a serious error occered".

anybody got any clues what the hell is causing this. have tried lowering resolution of graphics in game, screen size but nothing seems to work.

have checked the web site and not much help there but will be emailing them for help.

Psiman 07:03 26 Feb 03

1) DirectX 8.1 installed?

2) Try disabling any AV prog?

3) Also disable any firewall

4) As a last resort disable all background tasks, but the required Explorer and Systray. However your xp2000 should be man enough to support all and run this game. Sorry if you've already tried all these, not trying to teach 'Grandma to suck eggs'.

Finally click here for our probs.

Steve- 09:01 26 Feb 03

I also have this problem on an Abit motherboard, I have tried different video cards, Disabling all progs as instructed by EA, DirectX 8 and 9 and as many setting changes as possible, including a completely clean install of WinXP Home; an installation of 98se on a second partition also exhibits the same symptoms which suggests a hardware rather than software clash. I have been in touch, (5 emails) so far with EA Games tech support and their last response suggests deleting the game folders, copying the entire two disks to the hard drive and running setup from there, I intend trying that today I'll let you know the result.

For info the same gamelods and runs fine on my ASUS board machine with XP Pro (both systems have Via chipsets).

The forums accesible from the EA site and via a search indicate this is a well known problem with this game. EA are well aware of the problem and are working on it.

powerless 09:07 26 Feb 03

Can't say i have this game but from what steve says if EA say they are working on the problem then i guess you have to let them sort it out :-(

Also click here worth a try.

goonerbill 13:17 26 Feb 03

psiman

have done the first 3 items and have even upgraded to dx9. will try option 4 and thanks for your link to your prob, sorry, i'm much help on that score.

steve

thanks for ya info. funny that the game runs on ya asus mobo with VIA chipset as that is what i have on my mobo.

powerless

thanks for ya link but not much help but will have a look around the site to see if there is anything that is of help, thanks

Steve- 14:18 26 Feb 03

For info, loading the game from the hard driver actualy made things worse at first, I could not get beyond the initial splash screen. I then tried another complete reinstall from the hard drive and the original problem occured.

I am about to replace the motherboard with an Asus A7n8x and will see what happens then! If it still won't work then the problem will be a function of the Hard Drive or CD Drive which I find difficult to believe.

goonerbill 14:23 26 Feb 03

thanks steve, am looking at westwoods site and it appears that quite a few people are having a problem

goonerbill 17:29 26 Feb 03

steve

have tried all so called fixes on EA's and westwoods web sites with no joy. just have to wait for reply to email or any fixes that have worked for you

Steve- 17:39 26 Feb 03

goonerbill

I've had no joy with any of the fixes, I'm at present reformating and installing XP on a new motherboard will report on result later.

Steve- 23:05 26 Feb 03

For Info:

It was probably a bit of a drastic way to overcome programming bugs but the game works fine with an Asus A7N8X board with AMD 2400+ proc and 512meg of ram, this has an Nvidia chipset so I think they have a major problem with some Via chipsets - but then it works fine with my A7v8x board which has a Via set.

I hope we can look forward to some drastic bug fixes from Westwood!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…