cat5e alongside electric cable?

Alex_z 08:06 20 Mar 07

Can I run cat5e alongside of electric cables in the wall? thanks

Zero G 08:17 20 Mar 07

It may effect the signal stregth of the data travelling alomg the Cat5e cable, can you not shield it in anyway?

Alex_z 08:21 20 Mar 07

I am renovating my house, want to find out the easiest way to run the cable, not damaging the walls too much. Any suggestions?

Newuser4165 08:48 20 Mar 07

We have Cat5 network cables running adjacent to power cables in the electrical conduit system in work .Havn't noticed any particular problems.

The electrical field generated by electric cables reduces as the distance from the cables increases - "Inverse Square Law"
If separation is 2cm then the field strength is 1/4 - at 5cm the strength is 1/25.

Batch 08:57 20 Mar 07

From my experience, in numerous offices, over the years, power and signal cables (incl. Cat5) are often run together (more often than not even).

Having said that, there maybe some degredation that isn't apparent without conducting tests - if packets fail to arrive, they are resent.

Graham. 09:10 20 Mar 07

The recommended separation is 2 inches. They should also cross at 90 degrees.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Best iMovie for Mac tips 2017 | How to edit video with iMovie: 26 brilliant video editing tricks…