cassette to pc

bendigo 09:04 19 Jul 07

I have been told that a modern portable cassette/cd player with a headphone socket will enable me to transfer from the cassette to my pc. True or False??? or perhaps some but not others.

Technotiger 09:21 19 Jul 07

True - provided you have a decent sound card, with record facility. I can do this with my Creative Audigy2.

Technotiger 09:23 19 Jul 07

PS - better still if you have a HiFi unit with 'Line-out' connected to Sound card.

Diemmess 09:24 19 Jul 07

Possible but not certain.

More likely to work than not, it depends on "impedance matching"

You can at least try connecting the headphone socket to your soundcard. If you know the correct jack plug on each end you may be able to buy at your local TV/HiFi shop or try Maplin.

crosstrainer 09:27 19 Jul 07

give you an idea of what is required...I seem to remember a free utility called LP recorder which did this...anyone remember it? click here

pj123 15:17 19 Jul 07

Yes. I am in the process of transferring all my Cassettes/LPs and Reel to Reel tapes to CD.

I use the Headphone socket to Line In on the PC.

I also use LP Recorder to record as one long .wav file and then use LP Ripper to split it back in to separate tracks.

LP Recorder/LP Ripper, not free (about £38) but really good value from: click here

Don't forget .wav files are quite large, one side of a cassette is around 500mb so make sure you have enough hard disk space.

Carafaraday 18:25 19 Jul 07

Bookmarked....

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:32 19 Jul 07

Cassette to PC connection.
click here

bendigo 23:16 19 Jul 07

Thanks everyone so far, obtained my portable radio/cd/cassette player today, will start experimenting over the week-end. question for 'Carafaraday' what do you mean 'bookmarked'?

woodchip 23:22 19 Jul 07

bookmarked, he means for reference. So he can come back to the page

Technotiger 07:34 20 Jul 07

Bookmarked in Firefox, is the same as Added to Favourites in Internet Explorer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009