The case of the noisy phone line.

This started a few weeks ago when i noticed the phone getting noisy and my dsl line was dropping at random intervals. Carried out some basic tests with no improvement and contacted BT who arranged for an engineer to call.
The engineer came a week last sunday, he rapidly established it was an internal fault and suspicion turned to the wall mounted kitchen phoned. This was replaced with an old spare phone i had. Hey presto no noise just a big bill to pay when it comes.
I noticed this week that the noise had returned and decided to try and locate the fault myself. The kitchen phone was ok so i started with the lounge phone which is a cordless digital model. The socket is behind the bureau which is a swine to shift. Cleaned up the pile of dust dead spiderd etc which had accumulated and disconected the phone. Reconnected without filter with no improvement. Disconnected the other cordless phone which is beside the computer and the dsl line and started again. Still no improvement. Realised i needed a phone that i knew was ok, dismounted the kitchen phone and used that, straight into the socket, no noise. Reconnected the cordless phone, no noise. Replaced filter and tried again,no noise.
Decided to move the other phone into the spare bedroom and repeated the above and again there was no more noise. Replaced dsl line and retested, all ok. Remounted kitchen phone and tested all phones again, no noise. By now it was time for dinner. Afterwards fired up the computer and no dropped connection. What caused the noise i don't know but it's always worth testing everything thoroughly before sending for an egineer. Bought a new basic spare phone this morning from Argos which cost all of £4.95.

octal 16:51 18 Oct 05

It’s possible just by the act of unplugging and plugging the phones back in cleared a dirty connection on one of the plus/sockets.

Because the plugs are rarely if ever removed a layer of oxidisation builds up on the connections, just by removing them and plugging them back in removes the oxidisation, till next time it happens.

It might be worth squirting a little "servicol" on each of the plugs to keep them clean. Servicol can be obtained from Maplin electronics.
click here

octal 16:52 18 Oct 05

If it helps:

click here

Forum Editor 19:04 18 Oct 05

I'll move it there now.

spuds 19:43 18 Oct 05

Strange as it may sound, but some friends of mine had a similar fault problem that was traced to a kitchen telephone. In their case,they had their telephone located above the electric kettle, and they found that steam and telephones plus connection boxes do not make a good combination.Electric kettle was moved to another wall socket, and the problem was solved.

Lettervanman 19:59 18 Oct 05

Can cause same problem as steam,our spare bedroom was well used last winter with visiting family and I had a problem with the box.
The connections inside modern boxes are not with screws,the wires are pushed into place with a special tool.Unpluging and repluging can make fault seem cured,only to return again. You may need to remake connections.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…