Case fans - power supply

Dumble452 15:49 23 Mar 04

I am starting my first new build and have encountered my first problem. I have bought an ATX case and have purchased 2 x 80mm ATX case fans to install at front bottom and rear top. There is a case fan power supply point on the motherboard Matsonic MS8147C. Can I take the supply to both fans from here by using a splitter cable or is this supply only suitable for 1 fan? If it can only feed one fan, how can I provide a supply for the other one? Am I right in thinking that the front fan should pull air into the case and the rear one expel it?

Indigo 1 16:01 23 Mar 04

You will be better off if you only connect 1 fan to the mobo and the other (front) to a spare 4 pin connector direct from the Power Supply uclick here an adapter from

Yes the front fan should suck air in and the back fan should blow air out.

Indigo 1 16:03 23 Mar 04

Hope that is understood, my typing was a little rushed.

It should read ....to a spare connector direct from the Power Supply using an adapter like this one click here

961 17:37 23 Mar 04

If you read the AMD site about their processors and the teperatures they should run at you will see that they suggest the temperature inside the case may often be lower if only the rear extract fan is installed.

The first time I read this I was sceptical but when looking at temperature readings on several systems since then I have found on every occasion that there is a lower temperature with no fan on the front intake.

I should say I don't have the latest and greatest video cards with mega fans of their own that may cause a different result

Dumble452 20:37 23 Mar 04

Thanks. Perhaps I should have just bought one fan. However, there is room for two fans at the rear so I can experiment when I get it up and running.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…