Case Fans

denali 10:25 12 Apr 06

The question itself implies how little I know.
Is there a difference between front and rear case fans? I need to buy one for the front of my PC but each one I look at appears to be the same. Logic tells me one would draw air in and one push it out but I can find nothing on any packaging to explain this. (XP Pro)

AndySD 10:39 12 Apr 06

They are the same fan, there is an arrow on the side of the fan showing which way the air moves.

Toffly 10:41 12 Apr 06

if it's blowing/sucking the wrong way, just turn the fan over!

denali 10:46 12 Apr 06

Thank you both very much. Have just seen the arrow on my old one

Totally-braindead 10:50 12 Apr 06

The others are entirely correct. What you have to watch is that both are not doing the same thing. The idea is to have cool air sucked in, have it dragged over the components to cool them and then have the warm air extracted. If you have both dragging cooler air in or sucking the air out it may in fact make your PC run warmer.

Generally the way to have it set is, the fan at the front draws cool air into the case and the rear fan drags the air over the components and out the back. As the others have pointed out if the fans going the wrong way just unscrew it and screw it in the other way round. So in at the front out at the back.

Stuartli 11:33 12 Apr 06

Your PSU will also draw air out at the rear of the case.

Also see:

click here

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…