Carrier Pre-Selection-Possible disconnection with

buckland 19:03 22 Jun 03

I opted to take Tiscali's up-grade for my telephone use which means that I then have the convenience of not dialling 1615 in front of my calls. BT have informed me that Tiscali acting as my Service Provider has advised them accordingly and the transfer of all my calls to Tiscali as my alternative network operator using Carrier Pre-Selection (CPS) will start on 26th June. Freeserve is my ISP (Freeserve Anytime) and I am now concerned that this transfer to Tiscali will cut-off my Computer connection to Freeserve. I have asked the BT Helpline (0800 085 5291) and they say that there will be NO problem and my Freeserve connection will NOT be affected. However Freeserve have expressed by e-mail their regret for any inconvenience but I need to use a BT line for them as my ISP. It is confusing as Tiscali have not as yet replied to this query. Have you any advice. As I have no technical knowledge would it be preferable for me to cancel the Tiscali connection rather than find myself "cut-off". I have a couple of days only to decide. I notice by the way that when first joining Freeserve the dial up number commenced with 080899.... but after joining their improved connection time up-grade the number commences 1470080899.... .Is this significant please? Many thanks for any help. Best wishes, Peter Maddock.

Forum Editor 19:27 22 Jun 03

offers all of us the ability to select a different company (from BT) through which to route calls.

Normally, CPS has been used for long distance calls only, because local calls are cheaper - or no more expensive - via BT. You'll still receive bills from BT for line rental, but even that is set to change later in the year.

As far as I know you'll still be abled to dial into the Freeserve servers, after all, your line type or quality will not change. If there are problems you could still use the BT service for your dial up connection because you can override the Preselection at any time. Why don't you phone the Freeserve technical helpline and ask them to confirm that all will be well?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…