Career in web design

slormen 21:20 28 Dec 05

Hi. I've set my heart on a career in web design and was preparing myself to study the CIW master designer course. I'm computer literate but a beginner in web design. I dont want to waste time and money pursuing this path if its not the right one. As im new to web design I feel lost as to where to get started. Would you recommend the CIW master designer course? and could you offer me any additional advice?

Thank you.

mattyc_92 21:27 28 Dec 05

Sorry to destroy your dreams, but it is hard to get into Web Design field....

So I would personally say that it would be a complete waste time, but if you are motivated enough, then you may get lucky

Good luck....

Skills 21:40 28 Dec 05

If I was you I would get some free web design software and have a play around yourself. Theres lots of tutorials on the web and that way you can get a feel for it and see if you like it.

If you have frontpage installed as part of your office suite then you could start there. Theres also serifs webplus 6 which is free click here and NVU click here

If you like it and want to take it further then consider taking a course but as mattyc_92 said its a tough field to get into and theres alot of competition out there.

GroupFC 21:51 28 Dec 05

A couple of threads for you to have a read thro' click here and click here

pauldonovan 22:14 28 Dec 05

As per the above, it is a bit like me saying i've set my heart on being a pop star. I don't have the X factor - I can't sing and definitely don't have the look, unfortunately some careers you are kind of born with.

Can I ask why you want to follow this? I don't think anyone here is meaning to be negative but it sounds a bit from your post like you've plucked it as a career out of thin air, whereas you really out to know that you have artistic and design skills before you start in which case you are quite a way there and just need the technical know-how. Is that your situation?

The best thing to do would be to do some websites - read some books and get some software and put a portfolio of sites together - then you have something to show people, there are plenty of web design jobs around so if you can show that you can do it that should help you get your foot in the door.

pauldonovan 22:14 28 Dec 05

out to know = ought to know

slormen 23:16 28 Dec 05

Thanks for all your advice. In reply to pauldonavon - This is a big career change for me as im a carpenter at the moment, which in its own right requires creativity and designing skills. I am a creative, motivated person and feel confident i would adapt to web design. However, I will take your advise and get hold of the free software, play around with it and see how I find it before commiting myself to any courses.
Thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now