Career path in IT??

Johnnie_M 16:53 28 Feb 05

Ok, quick question. How old would you say is too old to begin a career in IT? I am 22 just finished a degree in Retail Business, but my real desire is to land a career in IT as I spend most of my time reading about it, or having some connection with it. My question I guess would be by the time I complete my part-time degree I will be 27, 28. Is this too old to begin on the first step? When there will be people my age no doubt at the same stage. I suppose scoring a 1:1 would help but just would like to know from you IT professionals out there what you think? Thanks

Stuartli 17:01 28 Feb 05

Three years doing an IT degree at Huddersfield University, plus another year to get his BSc, in the case of my son.

No doubt someone will have a more enlightened modern route, although the offspring certainly got a very solid foundation which has been suitably reflected in his bank account....:-)

Johnnie_M 17:10 28 Feb 05

Ye, its not the route, I have that planned out. Its just I'm thinking will I be too old by 27, 28 to gain a job in the IT industry, having just completed the BA Retail Business course and now changing career paths I just don't want to be too late.

TomJerry 17:25 28 Feb 05

I believe that IT graduates are still vastly oversupply, so it is really not a good route to take.

some statistics for you, big drop of people applying IT course over last two years and also for next year

I do not think a IT BSc in an ex-poly will be any good value.

The BB 17:28 28 Feb 05

What career do you want?

A programmer, administrator, analyst, designer, tester, project manager, team leader, project planner.... field is vast. For some, such as business analysts, a way in is by getting the business knowledge first and then moving into IT by getting onto IT projects as the tame business user.

Have a think about what you want. Are you a people person, problem solver, loner etc. as this will shaope the aspect of IT and then speak to your tutors and if your degree had industrial placements talk to them and thier contacts.

In many cases being in a company is an easier route than joining with a fresh bit of paper and no experience, and though it may appear slower, not many graduates come in as high flyers, and the 3 years not spent on a second degree are three years paying off debt, earning money and not getting in deeper, and ensuring you like IT and don't need a third degree (you'll get plenty of that in IT ;o

Good luck

Hate to think that after a second degree its still not hte right choice for you.

Stuartli 17:44 28 Feb 05

>>I do not think a IT BSc in an ex-poly will be any good value>>

Oh really? Good enough for the offspring to be headhunted by one of the country's biggest employers....:-)

Johnnie_M 17:44 28 Feb 05

Cheers for the responses, I do agree that IT graduates are fairly over supplied. I currently work in a large retailer and ironically two people I work beside on the shop floor have degrees in IT, though cannot get a job in that field. The reason I studied retail I guess is that I am a people person but also enjoy trouble shooting problems. I am currently applying for the graduate scheme within this company and plan to study part time for my degree in IT. I am worried however like you say The BB that I complete a degree in computing and then find I can't go any where with it. I spend most of my time with computers, building, fixing and networking them in my spare time. I also sell them within this retailer and am often used to troubleshoot.

I suppose I am one of the brainwashed that thinks a degree is everything (damn you labour party :P) I just think I can see my career switching to IT, and thought the most viable move would be a qualification.

Bris 19:46 28 Feb 05

Having worked in the IT industry for 34 years I can pretty safely say that there is no substitute for experience when trying to get a job. Most computer degrees include a one year IT placement in industry (provided you can get a good one). This experience is invaluable and can sometimes result in a job in the company you had your placement with and if not that one year will give you a foot in the door and will certainly give you the edge over a person with a similar qualification and no work experience. I used to take on degree students for their one year placement and found it an excellent way of recruiting good IT staff. So first off look for a degree that also has a placement element.

Also the best kept secret in the IT field is in the area of telephony. All modern telephony hardware and software is computer related. Telephone exchanges are computers and require programming and supporting just the same. Telephony technicians are thin on the ground because all young IT people are chasing jobs in networking. As there are not many around they can find jobs more easily and command better salaries. I have come across top notch telephone techies on salaries exceeding £80k.

Hope this helps.

Johnnie_M 20:44 28 Feb 05

Thank you Bris, all my information is on board from everyone, at least I now have a better idea of things. Cheers all.

TomJerry 13:46 01 Mar 05

what I meant is that a degree in IT is not enough for getting a good job

I am certain that your offspring has some additional skills/experience to offer to employers.

If you ask your offspring about where are his fellow students now, you may find what I said is not far from reality.

Yoda Knight 15:14 01 Mar 05

Just turned 31 last week. Been involved in IT all my life, but only took a position in January

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…