Card.zip attachment, dodgy?

Mysticnas 22:36 28 Feb 04

Hi all,

Not sure i recognise the address. I'm very cautious about opening emails that i don't know the source of. Got this email from powell***@*****.com anyway... it's got an attachment called card.zip and email text saying this is my advice.

Does anyone know if this is a virus in a zipped file?

I was thinking of going onto campus and opening it on a PC there. Doing this should stop any virus as they should have pretty high security there. However if something should go wrong, it won't affect my web based email will it?

VoG II 22:38 28 Feb 04

I would be cautious. Why not save the attachment then virus scan it?

D-Frame 22:40 28 Feb 04

No virus can mess up your web based email (unless its actually targeted by the server admins). Download it and before unziping run a virus scanner on it. (I think McAfree scans inside .ZIP)

Mysticnas 22:40 28 Feb 04

it maybe an exe renamed somehow as a .zip archive.

It may be triggered to execute as soon as it's downloaded.

It may be able to hide the virus in a the archive rendering a virus scan useless!

am i paranoid?

D-Frame 22:42 28 Feb 04

Your paranoid... lol :p

Just virus check it somehow.

VoG II 22:44 28 Feb 04

It may be just a joke click here

cycoze 22:49 28 Feb 04

It may well be W32.Netsky.C see click here , attachment can be called card.zip , as VoG says there is a joke of the same name , best advice is you dont know from where it came and didnt expect it , just delete it .

Mysticnas 22:53 28 Feb 04

i saw that page... but i don't recognise the email, or at least i don't think i do. I'm 24 on monday you see, so i thought it may be a birthday card or summat...

Mysticnas 22:57 28 Feb 04

file size is different!

that joke one is 187kb, this one is 34kb which is plenty for a page full of malicious script...

cycoze 23:03 28 Feb 04

On the same page it says the email text can be "my advice" , you do have the option of downloading and AV scanning it , but with Netsky variants being rife at present is it really worth it .

Mysticnas 23:04 28 Feb 04

i've done a search on the internet for this person by typing in his email address and this is what it came up with, a profile on customize.org:

15yrs old

Student

England

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…