Card readers not working W10/W7

hssutton 13:34 05 Aug 15

My card readers have stopped working in both versions of windows. Control panel say they are working Ok. Note I say card readers, as I've tried two internal readers and two external readers. The USB ports on the card readers work Ok. Connecting my camera to the USB ports on the card reader works OK, so I can manage, but it's a bit of a pain connecting the camera. Not quite as straight forward as most cameras. This problem only came about on the download of the final version of W10 on the 28th. Any help would be appreciated

rdave13 15:09 05 Aug 15

Just checked mine and shows up as a drive and needs to be safely removed. I can't remember if I had to do that with Win 8.1? I thought I just removed it from the reader when finished. Try opening device manager then inserting an SD card. In device manager click on the 'scan for hardware changes' icon (located under the 'Help' text.

rdave13 15:11 05 Aug 15

My internal card reader doesn't show up in 'MY PC' until I actually insert a card.

hssutton 16:12 05 Aug 15

rdave13 Depending on how you set 'Policies' in device manager determines whether or not 'Card needs to be 'safely removed' I always set to default to avoid using Eject Media icon I do it that way so as to avoid any problems. Scan for 'hardware Changes' shows no problem. My flash cards always in the past showed in 'My PC' or My Computer, but not anymore.

This problem is really starting to annoy me, as connecting my camera is a bit of a pain. Also what is annoying I have the same problem in W7

rdave13 16:50 05 Aug 15

Yes I understand Policies. Have you run the 'Hardware and Devices' trouble shooter?

Bris 17:02 05 Aug 15

Dont know if this will help but its worth a try click here. The download link is at the bottom of the page and the program itself is a .exe so doent need installing.

hssutton 19:13 05 Aug 15

Rdave. yes I did run the Hardware & Devices Trouble shooter. Showed all to be working OK. However I've partially solved the problem. I have two spare USB headers on my motherboard, so I plugged the cardreader into one of those. Bris thanks for the link. I've downloaded USBDeview in case of further problems

hssutton 10:11 06 Aug 15

Solved the problem, or again I should say partially. If I leave my card inserted (something I've done for the past 15 years without a problem) on boot up the cardreader will no longer work, even if I shutdown remove the card and reboot. Only by using a different USB header can I get the reader to work again. Not sure if W10 as installed a different USB driver. Maybe I should move this post over to the W10 forum as it appears to be a problem caused by W10

LunaPF 01:51 18 Nov 15

Does the card reader drive program need update, maybe you can also update the program to compatible the card reader with Win10.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now