Card Reader won't work on my PC

Sheila-214876 10:46 19 Dec 03

I have just bought a USB Secure Digital Card Reader that also has 128mb portable memory. It came with an Install CD but it just will not install on my PC (Athlon XP 2000, 256mb ram, 80gb hard drive, four USB ports (2 front and 2 back) running windows 98SE.

I tried installing it on my partners PC – same spec except it has a Duron 1300 processor, not XP 2000 – and it works perfectly? On my PC it shows up in Device Manager under Hard Disk Controllers with a yellow exclamation mark, on my partners PC it shows up under Human Interface Devices (working OK).

The card reader is USB 2.0 and both the above PCs are USB 1.1 but I am told it is backward compatible. Anyone have any idea’s I could try please?

skeletal 12:10 19 Dec 03

I hope this link works: click here

It is a fairly long thread where I was discussing my cf card reader not working. The difference is that mine was USB1. I spent many hours trying to get it to work on one computer (like you, it is fine on others). I now think there is something odd about some card readers and my (and others?) motherboard. I emailed ASUS but they didn't reply. I have never resolved the problem with the card reader and indeed, I bought another one (with great trepidation) that was USB2. I use XP, and it instantly found the new one and it worked perfectly!

I hope you have better luck than me, but if you can borrow other types and keep trying to get one that works, then buy one of that type. Having spent many many hours on this, I would not even try now!

Sorry I can't help, and indeed you may have a "simpler" problem which can be sorted by updated drivers etc.

Skeletal

Sheila-214876 12:44 19 Dec 03

skeletal, thank you for your response. I will give your link a try. In the meantime I have in fact ordered and am expecting delivery today of an 8 in 1 card reader for USB 1.1, hasn't arrived yet though.

Sheila-214876 12:50 19 Dec 03

The motherboard on my PC is an Asrock (PC Chips 810 lmr verson 13.) The motherboard on my partners PC is a PC Chips 810LMR version 8.

Sheila-214876 14:56 22 Dec 03

Just received my 8 in 1 card reader from Ebuyer (£6.99) plus postage. Worked first time. So, anyone want an SD cardreader with 128mb memory stick for half what I paid for it?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…