card reader wont register cards

SteevScotland 04:35 07 Apr 05

I have a Fujitsu Siemens T4010 laptop. running windows XP.

I'm having trouble with the built in card reader. according to windows all the drivers are installed and everything is working but when i put a card in the reader i get a bleep like when you plug in a USB device. However the card does not appear in my computer.

any ideas what could be wrong?

Cheers S

JonnyTub 08:26 07 Apr 05

I've had a look around the web and there doesn't seem to be a specific fix for this problem.

Try this, go to device manager and locate your usb host controller (not the usb hub) right click on it and select uninstall, if you have more than one do the same for each usb host controller. Reboot the laptop in the normal fashion and windows will automatically re-install the usb host controllers. This method installs new host controller drivers should the present ones be corrupt in some way. As always create a system restore point before you continue as a precaution although you shouldn't need it.

jack 09:17 07 Apr 05

What sort of card reader?
Does the literature say which cards it reads?
Does it include your card?

I have this week changed my '6 in 1`card' reader for a 16 in 1 [from LIDL] new cards are coming out all the time.

SteevScotland 12:00 07 Apr 05

JonnyTub thanks. I'll try that now.

jack sorry i should have added that it reads SD and memory stick/memory stick pro.

Cheers S

Stuartli 13:10 07 Apr 05

You don't need a driver for a card reader/writer with XP.

If you go to My Computer>Explore is there a drive letter(s) provided for the card reader such as H, I, J, K or even R?

Each type of memory card should have a drive letter assigned for it.

matt1234 13:38 07 Apr 05

ok very stupid question comeing up here!!!

My evesham laptop has a built in cardreader and it doesnt come up automaticly you tried going to my computer double clicking on the device and then it should come up

or am i totaly wroung?

jack 14:30 07 Apr 05

how many drives do display in 'My Computer'
How many drives does the machine have?

A - Floppy C -Primary D - CD/DVD E ? F? *?

SteevScotland 21:55 08 Apr 05

The drive doesn't show in my computer. the only ones that do are my hard drive which is C my DVD writer which is D and my mp3 player when its plugged in which shows as E.

Cheers S

SteevScotland 12:15 09 Apr 05

matt1234 09:33 10 Apr 05

try reinstalling the drivers for The card reader!!!

SteevScotland 01:34 11 Apr 05

that was the first thing i tried.

Cheers S

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…