Card Reader Problems

shazza65 13:57 29 Dec 05

I have just installed a new card reader because my old one wouldn't read my SD camera card. This new one connects straight onto my motherboard USB connection. The computer recognises each of the drives and says there is no problem. I insert the SD disc in the right way round and nothing happens. I clicked on each of the drives and it says "Insert Disc". Any suggestions? I have looked at previous threads on this subject but can't seem to find a solution.

SG Atlantis® 14:03 29 Dec 05

sounds like the card has had it.

Does it work in the camera?

Indigo 1 14:07 29 Dec 05

Have you tested it with other cards ?

shazza65 14:10 29 Dec 05

Yes, the card works perfectly fine in my camera and have just tried it in my Dad's computer and he can see the pictures on it. What I can't understand is, the lack of response after inserting the card. I have checked out each of the drives and they say they are working correctly.

SG Atlantis® 14:13 29 Dec 05

what operating system?

shazza65 14:16 29 Dec 05

XP Professional and all up-to-date. I had the same problem with my previous card reader which was also connected via USB but externally, hence I wanted an internally connected device this time round - Wonder if my USB's are working correctly, they do always say when I connect something, the devices could work quicker if connected via USB2, suggesting they are only USB1 at moment I would suspect?

SG Atlantis® 14:30 29 Dec 05

any yellow marks in device manager?

shazza65 14:39 29 Dec 05

No yellow marks. What I did notice when comparing stuff on my Dad's computer was, under Universal Serial Bus Controller's, I have 3 lines saying "Via Rev 5 or later USB Universall Host Controller" and his doesn't, does this mean anything?

Lettervanman 15:54 29 Dec 05

Sounds a bit like the problem I have,I tried all the advice from this forum but gave up in the end. Mine is a built in card reader and on boot up would read and write to the card,but after a while I would get error messages and it would not work. Reboot, and it would work for a while.
Nothing wrong with the card,if used when in the camera with usb lead it is faultless!

This is of course,directly connected to MB like yours. All external usb's work fine.

shazza65 16:37 29 Dec 05

Sounds like there's no hope then!

Stuartli 17:21 29 Dec 05

>>Via Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller" >>

These are most likely the latest drivers you can install for your motherboard.

I have XP Pro on a Gigabyte 6VX7-4X motherboard (about four years old) and the same USB drivers.

My memory card reader/writer works perfectly.

Have a look at this excellent website's guide to Via chipset drivers:

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac