Card reader is not working

Ganda 08:42 03 Aug 06

I have a Medion PC running Windows XP home edition with an onboard Winbond Smartcard Reader. I was using a memory stick duo in the reader and tried to delete something from the memory stick. I received an error message and then the pc froze. I have rebooted several times and when I go into my computer i cannot see the icons for the card reader. Normally there would be icons showing MMC/SD/MS, SM/XD and SC. Also when I insert a card into the reader it fails to register.

Any ideas on how I can restore the icons and get the card readers working again.

xania 08:55 03 Aug 06

The driver for the reader was probably damaged during the crash. You should reinstall it from the supplied CD.

Ganda 09:16 03 Aug 06

I tried another forum for help. Using the unofficial medion forum a number of threads suggested this was just a static build up. The suggested cure was to switch off the pc as normal, set the on off switch at the back to off and then hold the power button on the front for about 30 - 45 seconds. I tried this then rebooted. Hey presto - just like magic the icons reappeared and is recognising the card.

Celery is very stringy 12:12 26 Aug 06

I had the same problem with a Fujitsu Siemens PC. Their technical support were really helpful and they tried unistalling USB drivers etc and then finally go to the conclusion that I would need to do a full reinstall. Before I did, I checked PC advisor Helproom and read your post. Worked first time!

Brilliant - you've just saved me a day and half's stress of reinstalling.

Ganda 12:21 17 Sep 06

Whenever I put a blank DVD+RW into my DVD RW to try and back up data or create a DVD the DVD RW only ever seems to recognise the disc as a CD disc. Any ideas on how to overcome this problem?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac