Card reader connections - External DVD

Billawa 21:21 28 Oct 04

I have a combined DVD re-writer and card reader which I want to use as an external drive by means of a caddy to connect to a laptop. The connections in the caddy provide for power and an IDE cable connection. The DVD works OK. However, the drive itself also has a separate cable which connects the card readers to the computer. The plug on the end of this cable has provision for ten connections in two rows of five. The cables to the top row from the left are red, white, green, black and black. On the bottom row from the left the colours are red, white, green and black – the last position on this row being left blank.

Is it possible to connect this cable via a USB connector to the computer to use the card readers and, if so, what are the connections?

JonnyTub 21:33 28 Oct 04

The connectors you mention are usb motherboard header connections, you can't connect these any other way other than to a motherboard, that is unless your quite adapt at rewiring a usb cable.

Billawa 09:41 29 Oct 04

What's involved in re-wiring a USB cable? It may be worth a try.

JonnyTub 12:05 29 Oct 04

It's not something i'd recommend doing as i say, unless your apt with soldering, shrink wrap etc. Basically, if you splice a usb cable you'll find that the colours correspond to the colours on your connector, it's simply a case of matching them up, joining efficiently and covering with shrink wrap, however from what you describe, you have two lots of connectors which will require two usb cables and two usb ports, then there's the issue of how the caddy connects to the laptop, usb as well?? if so that's 3 usb wires trailing into your laptop for one drive, if i were you i'd stick with drive as is and buy an external standalone reader, they are really quite cheap.

Billawa 18:30 29 Oct 04

Thanks for the advice. If I have a few hours to spare I might try it!! As you say a lot of connections for one device.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…