Card Reader

Declanworld 09:23 05 Nov 13

Morning!

My desktop PC internal card reader has begun to only appear as drives in explorer occasionally.

I have Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit).

I have disconnected the reader and reconnected but the problem persists.

I have uninstalled the USB controllers in Device Manager, also without joy.

The main area of concern is whether it's software or hardware.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:07 05 Nov 13

It'll be software, you need to remove the drive info from the registry.

Use Drive clean up to remove USB device drive info from the registry click here and run USB device View

Uninstall ALL devices that are shown as not connected.

Reboot the machine.

Plug in your USB device and windows should then find new hardware and reinstall the drivers for the device.

or

Download

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:09 05 Nov 13

above post did not come out well

Use Drive clean up to remove USB device drive info from the registry click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:09 05 Nov 13

or

Download and run USB device View

Uninstall ALL devices that are shown as not connected.

Reboot the machine.

Plug in your USB device and windows should then find new hardware and reinstall the drivers for the device.

Declanworld 23:24 05 Nov 13

Just finished, Fruit Bat /\0/\; sadly, no success.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:24 06 Nov 13

Have you tried both "drive clean" and "device view"? if so then you may have a problem with the appropriate Service not running check here to see what should be running and how it should be set.

Declanworld 19:57 06 Nov 13

Yers, I tried both without joy. I don't know what to look for on the page you kindly sent me to.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:15 07 Nov 13

Its all explained on the site

type services.msc in the search box to bring up the services your machine is set to use

compare them with the "Safe" list on the site if they are different then right click the service select properties and in the drop down box select the appropriate setting Disable / Manual / Automatic.

I suspect you have a service disabled for your card reader that should be automatic.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…