Card printer needed

Diemmess 17:00 25 Jan 04

My son has a series of interconnected surgeries to a reception desk and wishes to print appointment cards one at a time at the appropriate moment.
The cards are 106mm x 74mm, entered broad ways on.

The software is working but the cheaper inkjets accept the cards and then lose them inside the printer!

My EPL 5800 doesn't lose them once accepted, but the stack is almost beyond finger reach before printing starts and have to be "encouraged" to go in at all!

We suspect that a dedicated card printer @ approximately £500 will be required, unless anyone can offer a standard model that works for them at this size?

Big Elf 17:59 25 Jan 04

This is probably a silly suggestion. Wouldn't a roll of perforated cards work or is that too expensive?

Diemmess 18:07 25 Jan 04

No it is not a silly question. I think the idea is to use pre-printed stock, A7 size and landscape presentation, and though calling them "cards" there is no thickness problem 160 Gm paper is OK.

The point of this thread is to air the idea and see what cross questions come up, thank you for yours.

Big Elf 18:13 25 Jan 04

Increase the size of the cards and design the layout so that they can be folded?

Diemmess 18:26 25 Jan 04

No

As I said, I'm presenting the problem rather than taking decisions

In the background is the need for a simple card small enough to slip into purse or pocket.
Simple, in that as soon as the appointment is made the option is there to print a reminder.

GANDALF <|:-)> 19:11 25 Jan 04

There is the option of buying A4 sheets of business card templates, printing the cards 10 up on a sheet, fold the sheets and they tear off without any rough edges and simply write the appointment time in the box when the patient needs it.......would save £500+ and probably faster.

G

siouxah1 21:04 25 Jan 04

I seem to remember a small individual label printer. Used rolls of sticky labels. These could be stuck to ready prepared cards.

woodchip 21:16 25 Jan 04

Are you adjusting the print settings for the paper size in Start/Settings/Printers/ right click your printer/properties and set the paper size in mine there is a custom size. also move the paper holder to the size of the card width. it should not get lost in the printer

Diemmess 07:28 26 Jan 04

The page settings to a small size have been done.

I seems that the problem at the moment is that while the inkjet will accept through the paper guides the next one from the stack, the paper is just too small to follow the track right through the printer. The paper guides reduce always to one side of the channel and miss some of the intake rollers at this size.

The laser will print and pass the finished print right through once it has been accepted. Unfortunately when a small stack of dummy cards is placed in the paper tray, they have to be pushed forwards almost beyound reach to be collected at the appropriate time. On this machine the paper guides move inwards always maintaining the same centre line.

Has anyone really tried their printer at printing A7 stock? If so and it worked, what printer is it?

Gemma 11:54 26 Jan 04

I have been here! We needed to back up a high speed thermal transfer label printer with various HP xjets. The media was A6 and we found that it could be made to work, but A6 was at the bottom limit of acceptable paper sizes for nearly all the printers we looked at. The major problem is the spacing of the paper drive rollers and the second are the paper guides which are optimised for letter and A4 (and generally a bit on the wobbly (technical term..) side. A techy could run the system, a regular user could not. The result was that the labels in back-up (very rare) are printed on A4 and the unwanted paper guillotined off!
Points emerging during the work: 1. Ink jets don't understand continuous forms. Eject means eject until you see a gap....2. The flatter the paper path the better. 3. Printing N-up is fine for large batches (if the app. can do it) but is useless for on-demand. 4. Don't just look at PC stuff. A number of retail point of sale printers are very good at printing small forms as are low-end thermal label printers. Check out Epson POS printers and Intermec for labels as a start point.

stlucia 12:46 26 Jan 04

I agree that "eject" tells the inkjet to feed until it sees a gap in the paper; but the printer can be instructed to feed a certain distance, rather than to eject, if you have control over the software that's driving it.

As an example, my Epson can print photographs from a continuous roll of photo paper; and in applications I write in dBASE I can instruct it (and any other printer) to feed paper by a set distance.

I would therefore look for some kind of continuous feed perforated roll, assuming that the software you're using can be programmed to accomodate it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…