Card identification ?

rdh660 21:48 28 Jul 05

Hi
I have been given two PCI adapter cards with no descriptions. From the ports on them I can see that one is a USB controller card to add more USB ports and the other has two firewire ports on it. When I install the USB card it is shown as a USB hub.First question is there any way I can tell whether the extra ports provided are USB 1.1 or a USB 2.0 ??

Secondly when I install the card with the two external Firewire ports (it also has tw internal connections) it shows as a 1394 network adapter in Device manager and a 1394 network connection in My network connections...does this mean that this is a Firewire Network Card similar to an ethernet network card or can I use the firewire ports as normal firewire ports to attach firewire equipment??...I have not heard of a 1394 network card before.
Thanks Rob

VoG II 21:50 28 Jul 05

1394 is Firewire click here

rdh660 21:59 28 Jul 05

Thanks for the quick reply

When this firewire card is installed it shows up as a network adapter and a 1394 network connection. Does this mean that this is a firewire network card rather than a PCI card to add firewire or extra firewire ports to a computer.

tasslehoff burrfoot 22:44 28 Jul 05

with regard to the USB 1.1 or 2.0 question, do you have a USB 2.0 device? and are you running XP?

If so plug thedevice in. If the ports are 1.1, a balloon will pop up saying words to the effect of "you have a high speed USB device plugged into a normal USB port"

I'm on my laptop at the moment which doesn't have 2.0 so I'm not sure if device manager will tell you?

(right click My Computer, properties, hardware, device manager)

HTH

Tas

rdh660 22:54 28 Jul 05

Thanks Tas
I have a usb 2 card reader so I will connect that to the ports as you suggest. I am pleased to hear that the Firewire 'network adapter' is just a normal firewire card. I did a bit of research after posting the question and found quite a number of other novices confused by the fact that windows identifies their firewire adapter as a 1394 network adapter. Well that has sorted everything for me .....thanks again to you all on the forum.
regards Rob

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…