card being charged without consent (every month)

blackmischief 13:27 10 Mar 04

how can I stop an internet company(a mainstream respectable company that even AOL advertises on its homepage) from charging my account every month.
They say in their blurb that if you want to terminate your account with them you just have to email them asking just that.

But they have not responded to a series of emails now.
What can I do short of closing that bank account
and opening another one? why are they ignoring my emails?

Sir Radfordin 13:33 10 Mar 04

Speaking to your bank seems like the best option.

anon1 13:42 10 Mar 04

report the card lost and get a replacement.

keith-236785 14:05 10 Mar 04

contact your bank and cancell the direct debit (or standing order), then when the persistant THIEF tries to get your money, the bank will not allow it.

if it was a credit card, contact the credit card company and request a stop on this transaction (you might need to put it in writing) so the sooner the better.

either way, stop this happening it is theft/fraud.......

it is also the reason i will never touch AOL again

people who offer a free trial (but you have to give your credit card details) do not get my business.

get phoning mate and stop it now before you lose more money.

good luck

Diodorus Siculus 14:16 10 Mar 04

Just tell the bank to refuse any payments to the company assuming you are not in a contract with the company. If you are, you will be in breach of your contract if you cancel payment.

Stuartli 14:23 10 Mar 04

Why are you suggesting that a card is lost and to get a replacement?

It doesn't stop any payments and is also requesting blackmischief to commit mischief i.e. tell lies.

The simple course, as suggested, is to get onto the card company or bank concerned, point out the circumstances and for how long the payments have been incorrectly withdrawn, and let the financial institution take up the matter.

It should not only do as you request but also seek redress for you for the overpayments.

the kopite 14:57 10 Mar 04

Inform AOL after all they are responsible for this companys behaviour there no is 0800 237 237

the kopite 14:57 10 Mar 04

Inform AOL after all they are responsible for this companys behaviour there no is 0800 237 237

the kopite 14:58 10 Mar 04

the kopite 14:59 10 Mar 04

Sorry about the treble posting I had trouble like nickname posting

SEASHANTY 17:27 10 Mar 04

See the European Commission financial regs on payments made with Credit and Debit cards. Look at the "UK" Section. Payments once made cannot be
revoked. As far as I am aware once you make an agreement with any company to allow monthly payments to be collected by debit card then it is up to YOU to get it stopped. Your bank will not intervene if
illegal payments are taken. Possibly the only way if it continues would be to cancel your card and apply for a new one.
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…