Car Computer

Concho11 11:40 04 Jan 14

Hi - I am looking to build a car but I'm thinking of ways I can cheat and make it cheaper and professional looking, I am looking for opinions and advice:

I am thinking of buying an existing double din unit which is already made with the correct fascias to fit my car, but the unit isn't very good, I only want if for the screen (resolution 800*480 and fits perfectly into my dashboard).

My idea is instead of building a from scratch I will buy a small , or netbook which will be pretty cheap now, and add to it, and plug it into the dash screen and keep the laptop/netbook in the glove box.

First off, would this be a decent idea? I am happy to keep it plugged in to a charge constantly.

I would add to the netbook, a module, radio & DAB capability, perhaps boot up to , and add Wifi & 3G connectivity.

I think I could do all that for a couple of hundred pounds, and I think it would be cheaper and more flexible than adding a proper 'carputer' with proper power supplies etc.

So what do you think? Good idea or better going with a proper build of a carputer? Is there anything else I would need to consider? If I buy a cheap netbook is it possible to upgrade the RAM/CPU/HDD etc? Or I will look for a decent on ebay maybe where someone has broken the screen and is selling cheap.

Cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…