Capped broadband

Graham ® 15:22 02 Oct 04

I'm presently migrating to another ISP, on an option of capped to 1GB per month. My present ISP tried to dissuade me by pointing out that even when not downloading, all the time I am logged on I will be using up my allottment, even when not even surfing.

Any observations welcome.

GANDALF <|:-)> 15:25 02 Oct 04

Why not turn off the connection when not in use?

G

Diodorus Siculus 15:26 02 Oct 04

When you are logged on but not doing anything (browsing, checking for mail, updating av software etc.) you are using minimal bandwidth.

To check this, simply doubleclick on the connection icon and see the bytes sent / received monitor.

Graham ® 15:27 02 Oct 04

Good point, well put. But, like many others I'm sure, treat it as 24/7. I leave it logged on and keep popping back.

Graham ® 15:30 02 Oct 04

I don't have that facility, just status.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:34 02 Oct 04

I,m on a 2G capped service and use this to monitor usage.

Net Monitor :-
Netmeter click here

Graham ® 15:38 02 Oct 04

Thanks, I'll download that for sure, before I get capped!

pj123 16:49 02 Oct 04

Who is doing a 1gb capped? The smallest I have seen is Wanadoo at 2gb capped but their speed is 1mb (20 x faster) as opposed to others at either 512 (10 x faster) or 128 (3 x faster). click here

Click on the link "What does this mean?" to get some idea of what a 2gb, 6gb and 30gb means. There are other ISPs who offer unlimited access for somewhere around the same price, but not necessarily the same speed. AOL is one offering 256mb at £19.99 with unlimited access. That is about 5x faster than dialup. Or NTL (if you have cable near your house) offer 750mb for £24.99 unlimited access. and so on....

Graham ® 16:52 02 Oct 04

Plusnet click here

pj123 17:15 02 Oct 04

Graham ®. Yes checked that out and there plenty of other options. But for an extra £5 you can get unlimited access from many other ISPs.

Graham ® 17:37 02 Oct 04

Hi Peter, yes I know, but I think 1GB will be sufficient for me. If I go over, there is a small charge.

Also their 1MB service is the same price if I upgrade. Unfortunately you can only migrate (ie avoid connection charges) to the same product, but once on I will see if I can upgrade to 1MB.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…