Can't watch a DVD

Nonagon 14:00 30 Jul 05

There is no W2k compatible DVD decoder installed on this system. ADVD decoder vdevice or vDVD decoder software is required to play movies. A dvd drive alone is not sufficient.

I get this message when i try to play a DVD. I never looked at one previously. I use QUICK Time to lookat video clips from camera WEB etc.

Ahy ideas how toresolve this.
N.

howard60 14:05 30 Jul 05

you need a dvd player prog

ACOLYTE 14:07 30 Jul 05

click here should provide all the codecs you need including dvd support.

ACOLYTE 14:08 30 Jul 05

Yeah should say you need a DVD player program to run a DVD but the codecs should work if you have a program.

Nonagon 14:13 30 Jul 05

I'm not sure what a codecs is/are & I don't think I have a DVD player programme. I'm also uncomfortable about rather than too mean to put a charge of $ 30.00 onm my credit card for something when I don't even know what it is.

ACOLYTE 14:18 30 Jul 05

Well you must have looked at a program to know it costs $30.00, there are some free programs like WMP that plays DVD all you need then are the codecs,and if you have windows, WMP should be built in.Its not the best out there but its free.

DieSse 14:19 30 Jul 05

click here

30 day trial of Power DVD - one of the top DVD players. If it works, you can get an OEM copy for a small cost here click here=

Nonagon 14:30 30 Jul 05

No this didn't work loking for all sorts of validation and stuff the rank amateur knows nothing about. Can some one explain what a cocecs is exactly?

Happy Soul 14:37 30 Jul 05

An acronym for COder/DECoder. In short, a codec is a piece of hardware or software that takes some signal (such as video or audio) and converts it to a format suitable for transportation using a specific set of protocols.

Happy Soul 14:37 30 Jul 05

An acronym for COder/DECoder. In short, a codec is a piece of hardware or software that takes some signal (such as video or audio) and converts it to a format suitable for transportation using a specific set of protocols.

Nonagon 15:13 30 Jul 05

I think I have sufficent hardware.
I clicked the link above to download the trial driver but it didn't work.
Thge one suggested by acolyte seems to be a page to download films etc.
I'm confused more than anything.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…